Looking ahead to 0.4.4

A place for developers to discuss development of OSA
Automate

Looking ahead to 0.4.4

#1 Post by Automate » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:56 am

It's great to see all the development going on and the 0.4.4 issues list getting shorter.

I think it would be good to have a target date for the release of 0.4.4 so people can decide if they can get there changes in 0.4.4 or wait till 0.4.5

Is Mat going to be available to update the installer or does someone else need to take on that task?

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Looking ahead to 0.4.4

#2 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 pm

I would like to set a date for v0.4.4 pretty soon, but need to give developers time to update their plugins for the new logging method. End of February, might be a good date.

Mat is available to work on the installers for the next release.
Brian

Automate

#3 Post by Automate » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:54 pm

OK, I thought you made it so the old logger calls would still work. You just got a obsolete message in Visual Studio.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#4 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Yes, I will leave it in the API as obsolete, but with moving the event and debug logging if any plugin uses those they will need to be rebuilt.
Brian

Automate

#5 Post by Automate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:44 am

There is an issue with UltiDev on Windows 8.1 http://ultidev.com/Forums/yaf_postst142 ... 1-Bug.aspx

It would be nice to get the new version in the OSA 0.4.4 install.

tommysharp

#6 Post by tommysharp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Any news on a date for the next release?

Automate

#7 Post by Automate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:56 am

My vote is to go back to the previous NSIS installer unless we can get a couple problems resolved with the current one.

1. If you have any problems during the install, the installer removes everything so you have no OSA software left on the computer. This make it difficult to do any further troubleshooting of the OSA problem.
2. After a successful install, Windows will try and overwrite any files that are newer than the ones included in the installer. This causes problems if you try to update any of the plugins that are included in the installer such as the web server.

Mat

#8 Post by Mat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Automate,

Stick any issues you have in Github against the installer so they can be tracked. For a bit more clarity, if the installer fails during an upgrade it will not remove the software it will roll back to the previously installed version as it is transactional. For a fresh install it will remove the components it installed. This does overcome previous issues where users had an issue during the first install and when they tried subsequently it would fail as bits were left over from the last attempt.

The only scenario i can think of where windows will overwrite the files (plugins) is when using windows restore points as it will roll the files back to a known good state. If you know of other scenarios causing issues stick them in GITHUB to be looked at.

There is currently only 2 issues against the installer and I think both have been done but not closed.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#9 Post by Vaughn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Yay Matt!

I have been working hard on content for this release and was not looking forward to figuring out how to get it out too. Although I would like to get more involved in it.

Well, I will work on cleaning up my latest changes and general little things and try to get the code ready for packaging.

Vaughn

Automate

#10 Post by Automate » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 am

Hi, Mat, good to see you in the forum.
Mat wrote:For a bit more clarity, if the installer fails during an upgrade it will not remove the software it will roll back to the previously installed version as it is transactional. For a fresh install it will remove the components it installed.
Usually when this happens it is on a new install. Here is the latest example but there have been many in the forums. http://www.opensourceautomation.com/php ... t1109.html

Maybe the installer could ask the user whether to roll back or not.