049 tracking thread

A place for developers to discuss development of OSA
Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: 049 tracking thread

#91 Post by Vaughn » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:59 pm

I just made a post in the general thread. I did get your changes and made a new build to test, but ran into complications due to a new release of MySQL. I have to go in and update the MySQL connector again and build/test the DBInstaller app that load the DB's SQL.

I also just bought a new i7 laptop with an SSD to speed up the testing and make it a little less painful. The last test box was incredibly slow.

Due to staffing shortages at work, they have me working 3 12 hour days and 2 8 hour day every week and it just seems like I only have time for work and sleep, but I am trying. I am on the verge of quitting and spending 6 months on OSA if it does not get any better there. Either way, I will get this MySQL updated and a test installer out on my next weekend (which is Wednesday for me)

Vaughn

kherron

#92 Post by kherron » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:05 pm

No pressures man....

I know how it gets. I'm a business owner, so my schedule can change just on a phone call.

Just know I'm here for you, and will help any way I can.
I'm excited for this new release...

Can't wait to close out a bunch of those issues on GIT.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#93 Post by Vaughn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 pm

I updated the .dll files and the DBInstaller to use the new path names, etc. I ran into issues with the new security and even from MySQL workbench, I can't connect to my DB.

I found the issues pages for the new changes here:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en ... ity-issues

But I did not have time to read through it and test at the time. I will have to test both the compatibility mode with 5.7 and the new methods in 8.0. Not sure how hard that will be or when I will have time. It sucks either way as customers don't need this level of complexity when using MySQL, so I will need to understand it very well and maybe write up some end user docs on it.

Vaughn

kherron

#94 Post by kherron » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:23 am

Damn it! That bites... :twisted:

I have always left the MySQL stuff up to you, as I am no where near as experienced with it as you.
I know how to create tables and records and do updates and stuff, but this is the first I have dealt with functions and views.

I guess there's no time like the present to start learning. However, my State contractor license expires at the end of next moth, and I still have over 10 hours of "Continuing Education Courses" to complete, so I am eligible for renewal. So right now my attention is there. But I do have some time to start reading and learning more about it.

There has to be a way to make this more "User Friendly" as I'm sure MySQL is used in a lot of other developed applications.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#95 Post by Vaughn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm

There is a 1-line setting that will make the MySQL 8.0 DB use the old 5.7 security methods, which is probably what I will do for now and worry about upgrading the security later. I will try that on my next days off.

Vaughn

kherron

#96 Post by kherron » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 am

Yea,
I was reading over the link you posted, and saw that is a recommended "Quick-Fix".

Vaughn
Site Admin

#97 Post by Vaughn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 pm

I had another error when even trying to restore a DB backup, something to do with Deterministic logging settings or something. There was a 1-line fix for that too. After putting that in, I have my Dev machine working on 8.0 with the new security model. So I think we might be OK even with the new security enabled.

I also saw that MySQL workbench is known to be broken and it was not indicative of anything wrong with any settings on my system, we just have to wait for a Workbench update.

so over all, I think things are going to work fine. I have to put this last fix into the .NET DBInstaller we use in the same way we add the OSAE user, and where we fix the Global Scheduler = ON code and then run another round of testing.

Vaughn

kherron

#98 Post by kherron » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 am

Cool,

Any progress is good :!:

Maybe in the installer, if the user is doing an upgrade instead of install, we can check MySQL version, and request them to update to 8.0 before continuing with the DB update.
And if they are installing fresh, require MySQL 8.0 before installing.

or something like that.....

Vaughn
Site Admin

#99 Post by Vaughn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 am

I don't think backwards compatibility will be an issue. The issues only affected a MySQL 8.0 install so far. I am leaving my production box at 5.7 for testing. I will be upgrading it on Tuesday to the latest code and will verify that. I think we are good. It is kinda sad that Oracle would release this without fixing their Workbench software though, that may make things a little harder for users, but I am hopeful they will get that upgraded soon.

Vaughn

kherron

#100 Post by kherron » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 am

GREAT.

That's good then, cause, I am currently 5.7 too, and I don't think I will upgrade until after the release. (Unless I have too)

Hoping all goes well on Tuesday ......................