049 tracking thread

A place for developers to discuss development of OSA
Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: 049 tracking thread

#101 Post by Vaughn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Man time flies.

Anyways, I got a good test off on 8.0.12 MySQL based install this morning using the new authentication, etc. I am going to do a little more testing today and then I will see about posting the installer to get some more help on the testing.

Vaughn

kherron

#102 Post by kherron » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 pm

GREAT!

Looking forward to it!

Vaughn
Site Admin

#103 Post by Vaughn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am

Update:
My last weekend, I got my production machine manually upgraded to the latest code. This is important because it is my MySQL 5.7 box. I ran into a new issue about 5.7 not supporting SSL. I found the fix and had to modify the OSA.API connection string again. I got that change made and tested and my home is now fully up-to-date to help with testing of the new version. I ran into lots of issues in doing this, but almost all related to syncing the code and database changes to that machine by hand, so nothing that caused by the OSA Install package.

So all that is left is testing building out a new setup from a fresh install to catch anything I missed in updating the installer. And I will continue testing via my own home setup and watching logs for errors. Lastly, there are lots of plugins that have to be recompiled to use .NET 4.7.1. I have all the core plugins and the plugins my home uses updated, but there are about 20-30 other plugins that all need to be recompiled.

Work is only leaving me like 1 day a week recently, but I think I can put out a new test installer over my next weekend or two.

Vaughn

kherron

#104 Post by kherron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 pm

If you can throw me a list of either what you already have, or whats still needs done, and I will start working on it.
Work is slowing down a bit, and I may be able to find more time to help out.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#105 Post by Vaughn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm

I got all the plugins at least recompiled for the .NET 4.7.1. I committed them and other misc code to .Github. I did the commit differently though and it ran so fast, it feels like I did it wrong, but history shows the changes, so I hope they all went in correctly.

Testing on my prod box has been going OK, mostly just letting is run as usual, with some changes here and there. I am still lacking on any reasonable test plan for the Full installer, as testing every feature from scratch just seems like 100 hours of effort, then testing the same stuff from an upgrade from 048 doubles that work... =( I am working on a new set of graphics and I will at least setup the main screen and a few rooms from scratch and then probably are just going to have to settle for an under tested app and fix things in a small release afterwards.

Vaughn

kherron

#106 Post by kherron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 am

WOW, that was a lot of work, but I hate to tell you, but when I log in to Github, the last commit is my own back on July 5th.
I do not see your latest commit?

I totally agree with you, there are so many changes in his release, small patches will be the best way to release and move forward.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#107 Post by Vaughn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Damn, I was worried about that. I am not sure how to fix that, I will upload a picture of my GitHub screen tonight. The plugin updates were not too hard, and after I did the commit with merge option, it did not ask me for a password or anything and was really fast, then I checked my local code to make sure it did not revert any of my code, and all the new changes were still in my code.

I will make a backup of my code base just in case I mess things up worse. I would upload the latest installer, but I want to make sure it is based off of the latest code in Git. The last test of the installer did run OK, with just a couple bugs during testing, like a couple plugins like REST not enabled on the default install, etc.

Vaughn

Vaughn
Site Admin

#108 Post by Vaughn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I did a Push, but my Git screen still looks the same. Do you see any difference?

I also attached a printscreen.

Vaughn
github.png
github.png (67.63 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

kherron

#109 Post by kherron » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:29 am

GREAT

Looks like it went through this time.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#110 Post by Vaughn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:01 pm

OK, quick update just to vent:

I am doing heavy testing today and had an issue with adding a new screen on my house which is running MySQL 5.7, so when I went to debug on the dev box, I got different errors relating to MySQL. Come to find out the fix I put in for 5.7 (SSLMode=none) breaks mysql8.0 connectivity, so in trying to modify the connection string to try one then the other, the connection string is static and can't be modified once set in the API, so it has been super frustrating. 1 solution is to put in a new DB parameter to set whether to use SSL, but then that would complicate things for the installer, users, registry, etc. So I will keep working on it and figure something out, but this is the type of stuff that makes me procrastinate working on the system.... One minute I am working on graphics and the next I am DEEP in a rabbit hole working on issues that are caused by MySQL and other systems and not getting anywhere on the code I was originally working on.

Oh well, wish me luck. If this goes too horribly wrong, I am warning that I may drop SQL 5.7 support to keep this project simple.

Vaughn