Thoughts about Windows 10 IoT and OSA

A place for developers to discuss development of OSA
Datahead

Thoughts about Windows 10 IoT and OSA

#1 Post by Datahead » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:28 am

I have to admit when I heard about Windows 10 Iot for the Raspberry PI 2 B I was quite excited as finally we have a OS that is scaleable and would work directly with OSA. All said, after playing with it a bit I was very disappointed with the results. I can do more with an Arduino Mega and a serial interface and or WiFi than I can with the current status of the the device. Not only is cost a factor the actual interfacing seems bulky and there is not enough there to warrent the difference in cost for the interface. I am sure in time there will be more out there for Windows IoT core, but for now I think my time is better spent elsewhere. Just my two cents of course.

See below link as I have to agree with this 100%

http://hackaday.com/2015/08/13/raspberr ... e-letdown/

Automate

Re: Thoughts about Windows 10 IoT and OSA

#2 Post by Automate » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Interest read although most of the posted comments are against the original article. I think it is mainly a misunderstand of the purpose of Win 10 IoT. The UI is not the primary objective of IoT like it is on the big Win 10.

Datahead

#3 Post by Datahead » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:59 am

Well, I haven't given up totally... I am expecting a breakout board here in the mail in the next few days, so going to try building a few sensor apps and see how it goes. Like the comments said it was designed for the "Maker Market"... I will be glad when there is a little more info in the net, but that is to be expected with a new product.

Ron

Vaughn
Site Admin

#4 Post by Vaughn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:10 am

I don't want to stick up for Microsoft, because they drop the ball and bail on great initiatives like Robotic Studio, all the time.

But...

I can stick up for the potential and need. It is all about the purpose. I have Arduino's for basic stuff, I specifically want something that will use Microsoft's speech engine, and run C# apps, and by the time you add all of the shields, to do anything similar on an Arduino, it is a big expensive brick.

Second, people have to give things some time! It is so easy to base criticism on something that is not matured.

IoT means Internet, not Serial. That article is written by an old-schooler that has trouble seeing the potential of new things. If you really want to see the power of the Pi running Windows 10, you need to look at the virtual shields. Using a Windows 10 phone and all of its sensors, cameras, and screen is simply amazing. Phone hardware is many times better than anything made for the Maker community, and to be able to put it all under native control of a Pi is pretty neat.

They may blow it, but I think it would be a massive mistake, especially if you watch this years Intel conference, they didn't even talk about CPU's, it was all about Maker projects, they say it is the new App market and will explode, and Microsoft has got to get in the game and knows it, so I have hopes they will keep on their ARM goals.

Vaughn

Datahead

#5 Post by Datahead » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:05 pm

I 100% agree Vaughn, and I am still messing with it. It will help with my C# coding as well... Still a little rusty in that department. I do like the idea of the Star Trek type control panel, please keep me informed on how that is going. I am also working on a smart thermostat with the cost at this point around $50. I just started working on the actual OSA plugin plug in for it, but when it is finished I will put it n the Wiki for sure.

Ron

PS: Do you still have that graphic of the Star Trek Door console??? I was going to use it temporarily with Open Remote on my Android tablets.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#6 Post by Vaughn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJXNv_sAk4

there is a video of a commercial one that ThinkGeek sold. I don't care to replicate the style, but would be fully functional and not a prop like that one.

Datahead

#7 Post by Datahead » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:00 am

Vaughn wrote:there is a video of a commercial one that ThinkGeek sold. I don't care to replicate the style, but would be fully functional and not a prop like that one.
Yeah, I am of the same thinking. The one I am envisioning is a fully functional LCARS with OSA client running on it. I can do a basic panel using Open Remote, but I would much rather put my time into something that can fully integrate with OSA. Hence why I was so excited about Windows 10 IoT core n the first place

PS: Is the OSA client fictional in the 4.6 version?

Vaughn
Site Admin

#8 Post by Vaughn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:14 am

Testing the Client install is still on the todo list. However, the client would not run on the Pi though. (Windows Core only runs Universal Windows Applications, not standard desktop apps, but maybe Screens could be rewritten)

There seems to be about 10 ways to integrate the boards, but HTTP/Rest seems to be the most practical way for the Pi, and I was not thinking of running a full GUI on it, etc.

If you want a full LCARS system wall mounted, Windows 10 Tablets are the way to go for that. The only thing the Pi have going for them is hardware control. Touchscreen tablets are flat, stylish, don't require a box to be cut into the wall, built in cameras and mics. The Raspberry is a joke in comparison and I think the future is in tablets, and maybe someday we will see a tablet with edge mounted GPIO connectors that will instantly make all project boards (that need screens) look just silly. Without a screen, embedded projects and the such could still benefit from the micro boards. Tablets could be Velcroed or use magnets to attach to the wall, so it can still be used as a mobile controller too...

But, as for an example of PC/Pi integration through a GUI, etc, there is a project sample that does it, and I think it is pretty neat:

https://microsoft.hackster.io/en-US/pet ... ows-10-iot

An a side note, my Dev machine FINALLY upgraded to Windows 10 today, so I can move forward with these projects finally.

Automate

#9 Post by Automate » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:27 am

Vaughn wrote:If you want a full LCARS system wall mounted, Windows 10 Tablets are the way to go for that.
Or if you have simple UI requirement you can go with a cheap Android tablet with the browser pointing to the OSA web server. By the time you purchase RPi2, touchscreen, enclosure, WiFi, power supply, etc you could get a cheap Android tablet.

Datahead

#10 Post by Datahead » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:20 pm

WOW, I just priced Windows Surface... Boy did they drop in price fast...