New Raspberry Pi 2 will run Windows 10

Discuss hardware that is supported by OSA or request support
Andre

Re: New Raspberry Pi 2 will run Windows 10

#11 Post by Andre » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:59 am

I have created a couple of Raspberry Pi and Pi2 mini controllers, running Raspbian linux and held together with Python scripting and a light python web server called Bottle, connected via Wifi and interfacing with OSA.

I have never been able to get my head around what is required for an OSA plugin for Pi, as I am struggling to see how to distill it down to just the core things that may be used. There are just too many possibilities with the Pi.

I have one controlling my Gate via a relay. There is an OSA "Thing" object created called "MainGate", in a Place called "FrontGate" I have attached a PS script to the ON/OFF methods that fire web calls to the Bottle micro python web server, which fire the relay.

There is another OSA "Thing" object called GateSensor, which alerts OSA when the GateOpen status changes via a magnetic reed sensor.

There is also a doorbell connected to the Pi that fires an OSA script (via REST) to alert on all devices that there is someone at the gate, including turning on and overlaying the Gate camera on the TV, via another Pi running my entertainment center (OpenElec).

Then I have another Pi that has two relays that control 2 plug points on an extension cord, which I use for various things that need scheduled power. These are also controlled and scheduled via OSA.

I haven't yet tried to load Windows onto it yet, but they are very stable with Linux, and I have grown extremely tried of Microsoft, their business model and godlike attitude. Although I mainly code in .Net, the Linux/python stuff has been extremely refreshing and rewarding to do. (and fairly well supported on the net)

It's also cheaper (and more fun) than buying single purpose Z-Wave controllers :D

Automate

#12 Post by Automate » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:17 am

Sounds like a nice setup. Maybe when you have a chance you could post some more details in the OSA Wiki.

Datahead

#13 Post by Datahead » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 am

I also found these sites to be very helpful with the Windows 10 IoT Core as to downloads and such.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... -iot-core/

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/ ... tupRPI.htm

Andre

#14 Post by Andre » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:41 am

@Automate,
A Wiki article is the final plan, I am still fine tuning and tweaking little things here and there :)

Vaughn
Site Admin

#15 Post by Vaughn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 pm

My last box of parts will be here Monday. I just spent a few days in KC and bought another OSA test machine and monitor. That will be my project for the weekend, but hopefully once it is up and can get back to testing a new release, and will test the Client portion Installer too and get that back up for people. (EDIT I forgot a Display port cable, and I am outta premade Ethernet cables, but I think I can work around both)

I got that $6 Uno R3 board at microcenter to play with too. I wish I lived somewhere with people who liked to play with this stuff too. I need a Makers group to go to and recruit help hehe

Vaughn

Datahead

#16 Post by Datahead » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:10 am

I got tired of waiting on China post so ordered another Raspberry PI B from a location in LA. 60 miles away. That and all the goodies. 7' Touch screen keyboard and other assorted items... Should be here in a few days...

Vaughn
Site Admin

#17 Post by Vaughn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:37 am

I bought a little touchscreen for my Pi also, it is still in a box though. I am pretty sure it is Windows 10 compatible. But things like the Wifi adapter that came in my kit, and the 5mp camera are NOT supported yet. I guess it is all new so driver issues are expected.

Vaughn

Datahead

#18 Post by Datahead » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Well, I got the first of two PI's that are coming today. Loaded up Windows 10 IoT Core and sat and waited for it to stop saying "Please wait we are setting things up for you..." It was like watching paint dry and all I wanted to do is set the resolution to 800 x 480 for my Mini screen which I got today as well. I finally gave up changed the input on my main TV and will check it in the morning... It does however seems to be displaying in 1024 x 768 and the mouse and network are functioning so we will see in the morning... I am excited to get some sensor project and such started.

Datahead

#19 Post by Datahead » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Okay, got the first one up and running. The problem was I did not use a class 10 Micro SD Card. Now to build a custom Shell for the touch screen. Woo Hoo!

Vaughn
Site Admin

#20 Post by Vaughn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:46 am

So you figured out how to edit the screen properties in the config.txt file on the SD Card?

I can't find the link that listed the hdmi_mode values, which is really needed, because besides setting the resolution on different screens, you have to set the 16:9 vs 16:10 modes, etc.

I like the Windows site with project examples, but still lacking on major official documentation.

Vaughn