Network Monitor Plugin Request

Discussion and support for individual OSA plugins
seansco

Network Monitor Plugin Request

#1 Post by seansco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 am

I would like the network monitor plugin also monitor "android devices" in they have an ip address in the address field. Is that possible?

Automate

Re: Network Monitor Plugin Request

#2 Post by Automate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am

Yes, The plugin just pings a given IP address. If your Android device is connected to Wifi on the same network as OSA then it should be possible. Easiest way would be to configure your router to give the Android device a known fixed IP address.

seansco

#3 Post by seansco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Automate wrote:Yes, The plugin just pings a given IP address. If your Android device is connected to Wifi on the same network as OSA then it should be possible. Easiest way would be to configure your router to give the Android device a known fixed IP address.
Yes. I have done all that. Just wondering how to make the plugin start "pinging" at it

Automate

#4 Post by Automate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Your Android object must be of "Object Type" "Computer" or "Network Device" These are the only two types of devices that are currently programmed to be polled by the plugin.

The State of the object will be set to ON or OFF depending upon the result of the ping.

seansco

#5 Post by seansco » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:20 am

Automate wrote:Your Android object must be of "Object Type" "Computer" or "Network Device" These are the only two types of devices that are currently programmed to be polled by the plugin.
Ok but will changing my phone from type "ANDROID DEVICE" to computer or network device break something else? I think the "ANDROID DEVICE" type has something to do with the Android plugin

fiveHellions

#6 Post by fiveHellions » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am

Yes if you use the android plugin you will need to leave it as "Android Device".

To get the network monitor to work for my android devices I've created a second object for my phone/tablets of type "network device". This tells me when the devices are on my home network or not.

Not the ideal solution having two OSA objects for the same physical object. But since we are using two different plugins that is the only way it will work. Alternatively you could add a property to the "Android Device" object and then use tasker to update that property when you are on your home network.