Taking the 0.4.0 leap

Post here if you are having difficulty getting OSA up and running
Mat

Re: Taking the 0.4.0 leap

#11 Post by Mat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:34 pm

I was going to say before you posted back that the likely problem is windows updates, as you will need the up to date version of .NET also WPF wasn't supported in the early days of XP as it was a later addition. It is a shame about XP being phased out but Microsoft are only legally obliged to support an OS for 10 years...

You could always try home server its pretty cheap and has some nice features... I was using it before I switched to Server 2012. If it tempts you at all I will be releasing 0.0.4 of the PowerShell plugin which will support interacting with Pachube.

Datahead

#12 Post by Datahead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I beta tested the original Home server before it actually came out for Microsoft and really liked a lot of its features. Didn't really do much with it other than run it though its paces. Since that I have heard the new version through different stuff I have read here and there that they have drop a lot of the cool features of the unoriginal version so I shelved the idea of using it. I may have to take another look at it again. Also the Pachube interface sound great from what I have seen of it. I may have to look into that some more also.

dbemowsk

#13 Post by dbemowsk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 am

OK, after all the windows updates, I completely removed everything (OSA and MySQL). I then ran the installer again. The installer attempted to install MySQL, but then got to a point where it said that the MySQL service is not running. Wen I went into the services manager and tried to start it, I received the error "Could not start MySQL service on local computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly". After researching that error for a bit and not finding a workable solution, I finally gave in and downloaded MySQL 5.5, installed it and set it's password. I then re-ran the OSA installer and it finally asked me for the MySQL password. I put that in and after the install finished, I am able to run the OSA Manager and the GUI. I need to figure things out now as far as creating my screens and what not.

Dan

Datahead

#14 Post by Datahead » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 am

Dan,
Glad to hear you got it up and running... Yes it is a whole new animal, but once you have used it awhile it grows on you. I especially like the webUI which at first I was a little skeptical about but just the fact that you can bring it up on any machine on your network is a big plus for me. It is however a shame that XP won't run PowerShell 3.0 as that opens up a lot of different avenues when it comes to scripting. I mainly just wanted to say I am glad you got it up and running.

Ron