Taking the 0.4.0 leap

Post here if you are having difficulty getting OSA up and running
dbemowsk

Taking the 0.4.0 leap

#1 Post by dbemowsk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:22 pm

OK, so I have been trying to find the time to jump my system to 0.4.0, but being that this is such a major change, I want to be sure I have everything figured out ahead of time.. One of my hangups is that I know I am pretty much going to have to reconfigure everything. I am reading that now the images are stored in the database rather than in a folder which means I will have to make sure I back everything up first from my 0.3.9 setup. Another thing is my scripts. I know there was some talk of a way to export all of the scripts. Has that been done? If not I completely understand since there are plenty of other more pressing issues that should be tended to first. If there was an SQL query that I could run in workbench to retrieve them, I could do that.

Some other questions I have... I will be running this on an XP system. Will things like the new powershell work on XP? Also, as far as plugins, It looks like I will have to update mine, which is another thing that will take me a bit of time. The little bit of looking that I have done at some of the plugin changes, it looked like mostly just changing the logging lines of code in the functions and methods.

I want to dive in and do all of this this weekend. If I were to try the install on a VM on my linux machine just to check out the install process, How hard would it be to migrate that to my production machine if it works well enough. I realize that in a VM, I will not be able to test a lot of the hardware. It is just mainly for me to get a feel for the install and setting up screens and what not. My main thing is to minimize the down time on my current system.

Thanks guys.

Dan

Automate

Re: Taking the 0.4.0 leap

#2 Post by Automate » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:12 pm

If your latest plugin code was in the old SVN then Mat has already made all the changes in the version on GitHub. But they have not been tested. So you need to compile them, package them up and install them and test.

If you are going to use a VM to test then you could import all your images, install plugins, create your objects, screens and scripts etc and then do a MySQL osae database backup. Then restore your osae database and install OSA and copy the plugins folder from the VM to the production computer.
Last edited by Automate on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbemowsk

#3 Post by dbemowsk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks, now that you mention it, I do recall Mat saying that he made the updates. BTW, thanks Mat.

Dan

Mat

#4 Post by Mat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

All the updated versions of the plugins have been uploaded (to my knowledge) if not they should be good to go. I don't know if you stuck with the older version of CM11A but the bug ron was having is fixed.

As for exporting scripts the simple as is no but you could just select the rows from the DB table then click export to CSV should be a simple paste back into the new system.

Sadly the PowerShell plugin won't work on XP being that Microsoft is making it EOL soon enough, they are no longer bothering to support XP on a lot of there new products. The plugin relies on Powershell 3.0 which can be installed on Vista onwards.

Datahead

#5 Post by Datahead » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Mat wrote:Sadly the PowerShell plugin won't work on XP being that Microsoft is making it EOL soon enough, they are no longer bothering to support XP on a lot of there new products. The plugin relies on Powershell 3.0 which can be installed on Vista onwards.
Dan,
As someone who stuck with XP right to the end because of it stability (As Windows go anyway... LOL) It is well worth the upgrade to in the least Vista or Win 7. I would suggest Windows 7 as Vista in my opinion was a piece crap. The PowerShell Plugin opens up a whole new realm of what you can do with OSA. Hats off to Mat for writing the plugin. OSA 4.0 is a bit of a learning curve from 3.9 but once you get use to the new WebUI it really is a joy to work with. Especially the fact that you can bring up the WebUI from any computer on your network and make configuration changes. I think you'll be very pleased with the new version. It show Brian and Mat put a lot of work into it and I for one am impressed.

Ron

dbemowsk

#6 Post by dbemowsk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 am

OK, so here are the results of my first attempt installing the new version in a Windows XP VM. I downloaded and ran the latest installer. Everything seemed to go good with the install, completing without any errors. It then asked if I wanted to start the service, so I clicked YES. Still no errors. When I checked the system tray, I did not see the manager running, so I attempted to start the manager through the start menu. This is where things failed. As soon as I clicked on Manager, I got this error:
manager_start_error.png
manager_start_error.png (6.7 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
I then decided to check to make sure the service actually started. When I opened the windows services manager, it showed that the OSAE Service was not started, so I clicked on Start and I received this error:
service_start_error.png
service_start_error.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
I restarted the VM and tried a second time with the same results. If this somehow has to do with the MySql install, there was no indication of it in the errors that were presented. Granted this was my very first attempt and I have not probed the forums as of yet for the solution, but for the first attempt at installing this, it is not looking good. I am sure there is a fix, I just have to find it. I merely wanted to make light of what happened on the first install in the event that there are things that nay need fixing.

Dan

Datahead

#7 Post by Datahead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 am

Dan,
Are you doing a fresh install or trying to upgrade?

dbemowsk

#8 Post by dbemowsk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:29 am

OK, I think this was my bad... I realized that I hadn't yet installed all of the windows updates on this VM yet. Because of this I didn't have SP3 installed. I am in the process of installing it now. I'll kep you posted.

Dan

dbemowsk

#9 Post by dbemowsk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:29 am

Datahead,

This is a fresh install.

Dan

Datahead

#10 Post by Datahead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Dan,
I haven't tried installing on my XP machine as yet but I know Automate I believe has successfully got it to work. I do know the PowerShell plugin does not work with XP at least I believe Mat had mentioned that. Also given that XP is being phased out it might be time to think about an upgrade. Never the less let me know how it is going and I will try to be as much help as I possibly can.

Ron