Installation Common Problems - PLEASE READ

Post here if you are having difficulty getting OSA up and running
bwoodworth
Site Admin

Installation Common Problems - PLEASE READ

#1 Post by bwoodworth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 am

I am creating this topic to hopefully help out people who may be running into issues during the installation process.

The main issue people seem to be having is with the MySql part of the installation. This can be tricky because of the multiple scenarios that the installed may encounter. If MySql has never been installed before it is usually very straightforward and it should just do all the MySql installation part in the background.

The part where it may be confusing is when there already exists an install of MySql on the same machine you are trying to install OSA on. The installer needs to create a special user within MySql that will be given access to the OSA database. In order to be able to do this the installer needs to know the root password for the existing MySql instance. This is when the installer will popup a small window asking the user to input that info. The installer will use this to install the database and create the special user for OSA to use. Future installations will be able to use the special user so it will not need to ask for the root password again.

If for some reason the installer failed after installing MySql, but before the OSA database got installed you be in a situation where the installer is asking for the root password, but you have no idea what it is because OSA installed MySql. In this case the root password should be 'password'.

Hopefully this helps those who are having difficulty getting OSA set up. If not feel free to post any questions you may have.
Brian

walberg

Re: Installation Common Problems - PLEASE READ

#2 Post by walberg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 am

I tried to install osa, on windows (on a mac on parrallels) but even though there was no mysql, during install msql failed, and theres no screen where i can submit an user name and / or password. (And of course i don't know the user name and password.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#3 Post by bwoodworth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:09 am

Did mySql get installed at all?
Brian

walberg

#4 Post by walberg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am

Yes but it won't start.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#5 Post by bwoodworth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 am

Sounds like a problem with MySql and your computer. I would recommend trying to uninstall MySql and reinstalling it manually with OSA and see if you can get it to start.

FYI, when OSA installs MySql it creates the 'root' user with a password of 'password'
Brian

walberg

#6 Post by walberg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 am

During install OSA gives the notification sqlserver not running. I could then open mysql command line i get an old dos box asking me for the password, so i entered password then a short error and the dialog screen dissappears. Open OSA GUI or manager gives no connect to the database and then the program hangs. ctrl alt del kill app, severe times before it trully ends.

walberg

#7 Post by walberg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 am

Open dosbox

telnet localhost 3306
coult not open connection to the host on port 3306

I can remember when doing something with joomla there was a program phpmyadmin, there you could see if there is or are databases.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#8 Post by bwoodworth » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 am

You can install MySql Workbench to see what is going on with your MySql install
Brian

walberg

#9 Post by walberg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:25 am

i have downloaded the complete package from mysql (with workbench) but how do i test with the workbench if the osae.sql is working? assuming that this is the database for OSA. Note that osae.sql is in programfiles not in documents. there is a workbench sample for localhost? and if i sait test connections it sais connection parameters are correct.

I like to work with osa as all others doesn't work (eventghost, digital home server. Only Homeseer is working but it is dificult and is only working for 30 days (and it is too expensive to register). The only difficult things i want to do is:

1) connect / disconnect electronic devices as a nas / sattelite receiver on on daylite and of at nighttimes
2) put on a switch when a hygro device say the humidity is too low.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#10 Post by bwoodworth » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:41 am

The first thing it sounds like you need to do is figure out if the osae database was installed. You can use workbench for this. Also figure out the credentials to access the database. The OSA installer should have created a user with access to th osae database: osae/osaePass.
Brian