Thorian Home Automation - Introduction

dj-eon

Thorian Home Automation - Introduction

#1 Post by dj-eon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:21 am

Hi.
My name is Ian Thorington, and it probably comes as no surprise that I am a big fan of home automation.

Thorian Home Automation is my attempt to bring super cheap home automation to anyone who has some skills with building simple electronic circuits and has access to a PIC programmer.
Some home automation hardware is expensive. Some is cheap(ish) and some isn't reliable.
I've used and still use Z-Wave and X10 (RF only)
They work, but I've had issues with both over time. A lot more issues than I've had with my own kit even at this early stage.

I started working on Thorian in the summer of 2015 for myself but figured that some of you folks in the OSA community who are handy with a soldering iron and a PIC programmer could also make use of this.

At the time of writing this, a test/diagnostic program is available for PC to help you test any Thorian device you have constructed. This is a small portable standalone application. No installation is needed, it just runs.
Its also used to program which address you want each Thorian device to appear on.
A plugin for OSA is also available which is working very reliably as of OSA v0.4.8.

These are the modules currently available:

(required)USB interface for OSA to communicate with Thorian modules.

Temperature sensor that reads -55 to 150c, also works in Fahrenheit. Runs on batteries and has low battery indication.

This module is ready, just needs documenting:

LED strip light controller (Still allowing local remote control and OSA control). For more info on LED strip lights click here

Other modules in the pipeline:

Temperature sensor + rain + light sensor in one (you can choose whether it does 1,2 or all 3 functions)

12 volt appliance switcher (single and multiple appliances)

Mains appliance switcher (single and multiple appliances)

Plant watering indicator (soil moisture monitor)

Input / output module

I'm always looking for ideas. If there is something you want, please start a new topic.