Temperature Sensor

dj-eon

Temperature Sensor

#1 Post by dj-eon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:35 am

Below is the direct link for the build and files for the Thorian temperature sensor project with schematic and some notes on how to build.
http://www.opensourceautomation.com/wik ... ure_Sensor

Again, if you have any questions. Please ask and I will reply. And at some point update the Wiki with any additional useful info.

Firmware:

28 March 2016 - ThorTemp14.hex - first complete? release. All features are working.

09 April 2016 - Its ready ! see above for firmware.
13 Feb 2016 - The OSA plugin has been updated to support a temperature device object. Also negative temperatures have been fixed. You will find the link in the USB interface topic.

Features of this device:
Accurately reads its environment temperature from -55C to 128C, transmits this back to the USB controller / OSA.
Programmable address via the Thorian test software.
Green/Red LED indication of operation and state of battery.

Battery status is also shown in OSA.
Temperature is available as degrees C and degrees F.
Attachments
ThorTemp14.zip
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Stefan

Re: Thorian Temperature Sensor

#2 Post by Stefan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Ian.

This project looks nice.

I'm in the same situation and are just looking for a way to get PIC to interact directly to OSA.

How are you going to transfer the info to OSA ?

I have lots of different projects with PIC's that i want to get in to OSA.

Regards
Stefan

dj-eon

#3 Post by dj-eon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:38 am

Hi Stefan.
You should take a look at the USB interface circuit.

All I've done is write code into the PIC that can understand receiving and sending serial data at a fixed baud rate, which connects to the PC via a serial/USB cable.

Anything the OSA plugin receives is in the format - Address byte, Data bytes. It looks at the address, if it matches a Thorian device, that device gets updated with the relevant data.

The same happens in reverse. OSA might send a command to a device. This is output through the serial port into the PIC which then transmits it over the air in a slightly different format.

There is more to it than this (lookups, timing etc), but this is the general outline.

Am I right in thinking you want a PIC to do something similar connecting a temp sensor to it, then into OSA?
PM me if you want me to go into more detail.

Best regards,
Ian.

Stefan

#4 Post by Stefan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:30 am

Hi again Ian.

So we are thinking the same here.

You have one HUB with a microprocessor plugged in to USB or RS232 that are taking care of communication with OSA on one side, and on the other side it is communicating with lots of different sensors. Probably thru RF 433Mhz in Sweden.

In this case we can use all channel we want on PIC, I2C, RFID, ZIGBEE, WIFI, RC5, IRDA, ONEWIRE, CAN, SPI and so on......

And this is perfect.

I have one PIR in my garden that have been there for 5 years now, driven by a small battery and a sun panel. And the PIC is sending thru RF, information about battery level and status.
So this is one of the different information's i want to get in to OSA.

Regards
Stefan

Vaughn
Site Admin

#5 Post by Vaughn » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:18 pm

There are several plugins that use serial port communications, like the W800RF, which is a 310/433 standard antennae. You can just take a plugin in like that, rename it and then change the hex values in the case statements to match whatever your pic is putting out (primarily the address field on objects, property names and values). TCP/UDP/HTTP/Bluetooth are all possible alternatives. I think I am going to go with UDP broadcasts or Rest for my Raspberries.

If you don't code .NET, I know making a plugin won't seem like an easy task. Visual Studio 2015 is free though and the source for all the plugins is online if you want to try to use W800RF or one of the other plugins as a base.

dj-eon

#6 Post by dj-eon » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi Stefan, I like your thinking.
I would like my system to recognise other RF formats.
Transmitting other formats is easy, I've already done X10 and another format for my central heating boiler.
But receiving them takes more thought. I think I've figured it out how to do it in my head, but not put it into practice yet.
I'm only concentrating on my own devices at present.

It looks like RFXCOM have already made something that does this:
http://www.rfxcom.com/RFXtrx433E-USB-43 ... sceiver/en
Check out all those RF formats it supports!

did you make any progress with your wireless PIR?

What is the make and model number of it?