[Official Thread] VR Support thread

Vaughn
Site Admin

#1 Post by Vaughn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Overview:
VR functions are currently handled by a standalone app called OSAE.VR.exe. Logs and microphone status are shown on the screen.
The application is controlled by the VR CLIENT object type.

Since this application is standalone, it can be published "out of release", so the latest version of VR.exe can be found attached to this thread.

Version Notes:
0.3.2c - Fix bad compile with old API ( THANKS to everyone who helped us find the umbiguos error!!!)
0.3.2 - New client written in C#/WPF to replace VB/Winform client.

Known Issues:

Planned features:
* Auto-Sleep (Turn mic off each time automatically)
Attachments
OSAE.VR.zip
WORKING VR
(7.23 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

AlexSG

Re: [Official Thread] VR Support thread

#2 Post by AlexSG » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 pm

VR is working great now. Thanks Vaughn and Brian.

Questions.

After VR runs a command what line would I add to the end of a VR command to put it back to sleep without speeking the sleep phrase?

Do the wake and sleep phrases work? I never hear them spoken by OSA.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#3 Post by Vaughn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:28 pm

Wake and sleep phrases, when heard should show on the screen as I am awake or I am sleeping. If either the wake or sleep commands are heard, they will check for Named Scripts with matching text. I am not longer using the WakeResponse and SleepResponse properties of the VR CLIENT.

Soo, If you say "Computer" and wake it up, and you want it to say "Yes master" make a Named Script with the text of "Computer" in it. Here I just added "Computer" to the Greetings Name Script.

Same, I just added a script called "Your Welcome" to match my sleep phrase.

The reason for this is Speech Lists are better responses than a single phrase and make for a better AI appearence, although it is a bit more work.

As for Auto-Sleep, I will put that in as a feature.

Vaughn

Milenko

#4 Post by Milenko » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:40 am

VR works like a dream!! Thanks guys!!

I feel like a kid at Christmas:

Me: Computer.
OSA: Yes Master?
Me: Open garage door one.
OSA: Garage Door One opening. (Door opens)
Me: Thank you.
OSA: Of course sir.

Very, very cool :)

So what's on your wishlist, hardware wise? I feel like we need to give back for all the hard work you guys have put into this...

Vaughn
Site Admin

#5 Post by Vaughn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 am

I am just happy, you are happy.

I have very manic moods... If coding goes bad or I only get negative feedback, it kinda depresses me and I tend to vansih for a while while looking for motivation, etc. When I know my work is noticed, used or appriciated, it does the opposite and makes me want to do more right away....

So again, just happy that my efforts are being used.

There is a lot of hardware we need to be able to add support for in OSA, but it ranges from cheap to expensive, from easy to hard, and from common to rare, so hard to say what is best or next. I think Brian and I should make a kinda wish list of things we would like to support, with the price and efforts each would take, and maybe priortize them. This would give people more ideas and options if they did choose to donate a piece of hardware and how long it would take to see support for that hardware.

Someone donated me a UPB controlled like two years ago and I never got around to developing for it because the effort was too high and there was no time, so I feel bad.

Anyways, we also plan on getting the LLC and bank accounts set up in the next couple weeks, so we have not been able to accept donations, place ads, or sell anything yet. But we are trying to get all of that handled soon too. Once that is done and OSA gains some traction, we are hoping for more hardware to be dontated by manufactures too.

In the mean time I will talk to Brain about getting a hardware list together. The best hardware to donate though is something you want us to support though =) Like someone was wanting CM19A supported, but I don't have one, so that is a good example at least. I know on Brian's wish list are ZWave items, but they are a little pricey. He needs an HMS100 and a Thermostat. I have a ZWave thermostat but it is hard to help him test with it here though. ZWave devices all provide a little trouble and it is nice to have 1 of everything for support.

Again, the main thing we appriciate is your patience, usage, and support of the project in general though.

Thanks,
Vaughn

AlexSG

#6 Post by AlexSG » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:34 am

State images with Named Scripts? Correct usage of State Image in General?

Okay. Decided to attempt to create a state image on a screen with my VR Named settings.

Example:
Create Object named device state. Type as Thing. Set State Off. Add State Images for On and Off.
Manually toggle On/Off State. Images change on screen.
Open Script Editor and Run as Event, Device State.Run Method.On - No change of image.
Run Device State.Set State.On - No change of image.

Run as Named
SERVICE-TALUS.Run Method.Execute Command."C:\OSA\network\startup shutdown\device.bat"
Speech-TALUS.Run Method.Say.Device state on.
Device State.Run Method.On
No image change.

Also noticed Script Processor having some issues lagging on execute command durring my experiment with State Images. When using Script Editor it will speak the above command but the execute portion may not happen for quite some time. Or maybe not at all. Unchecking Script Processor, restarting OSA Service then re-checking Script Processor will bring it back up and working perfectly until using the Script Editor again.

Feature Request for VR. Can you add an option to run as a service instead of user mode? I would like to be able to use it from a locked server. Is this possible with an application that uses mic input?

Also locking computer will put it into a stopped state and it will not respond. Shows on screen I hear Stopped. You have to exit and restart VR.

Milenko

#7 Post by Milenko » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:59 am

Oh man, that reminds me. I think there's a bug with changing the state of an object with type thing. It results in MySQL eating up 100% of whatever core it's running on until you restart the MySQL service. I ran into this on 0.3.2 and forgot to report it.

I'll make a separate thread for a bug report to avoid cluttering up this thread since it's not VR related.

Milenko

#8 Post by Milenko » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Vaughn
Site Admin

#9 Post by Vaughn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Well, in general you should never set a state. Objects have Methods with the Same name as the State, and to set an Object, you should generally use its method.

Setting State results:
Using Set State: All that is done is the state of the Object is updated to a current value, system seeing almost nothing.

Using Method: Calling the ON or OFF Method tells the owner of the Object that it needs to manage the object and do what is needed to put it in another State. The owner then sets the state, write logs and stuff. In the case of System objects, the DB will handle things.

In the Case of THING, it should be a SYSTEM object, but I don't think the Owner is set on the Object Type, I already reported that and there is a little SQL for next update to set some of the owners. Please check the Object_Type for THING on your system and set the owner to System.

Let me know if that helps. Also, I am currently working on the Scripts, so maybe you will encounter issues related to scripting also, but what you are trying to do should work, so we will work out the detials.

I should be putting out an update to the script editor and dll today, did some good work cleaning up the script editor yesterday. I found it almost unusable after the release, so I spent a few hours on it yesterday, and doing more today. So please hang tight if you can't get it to work, and know it will be getting lots of love and we will rapidly address any issues.

Milenko, I did not see that about the CPU usage on setting state's. I will test with both System and Plugin objects...

Vaughn

AlexSG

#10 Post by AlexSG » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Okay, I will give that a try. Wife has been keeping me busy most of the day. I will try it tonight.

Now, you say set Object_Type for Thing as System that looks like a database property. Will I need to do this in a database table? Or can I just set the container as System and be good to go?

I am a Systems Administrator during the week but a lot of what you do I rarely apply in my day to day activities. Just like when I try to explain any backend computing details to the wife, you may have to assume I am not aware of the no brainer details at times. I may pull a few stupid n00b tricks and it might take me a couple of reads to decrypt some of the explanations. But I do catch on.