Receive email

winger

Receive email

#1 Post by winger » Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 am

Is there a way to have osa receive email or text messages and respond?

For example, I don't have a smart phone. Say I have a thermostat controlled by osa. Could I send a text message or text message to osa to set the temperture. Or request osa to send back the current temperature reported by the thermostat?

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Receive email

#2 Post by bwoodworth » Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 am

OSA can't receive text messages or emails, but you could accomplish what you want using the Jabber plugin. The Jabber plugin allows you to chat directly with OSA over any service that uses the Jabber protocol, like gTalk. You can send messages to OSA and have it perform whatever task you want and/or reply with any type of message.
Brian

Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: Receive email

#3 Post by Vaughn » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:35 pm

I wouldn't think writting a POP3 plugin would be too hard. But any computer that can send an email should be able to use Jabber or the web interface. Where I think the email would have potential is not in controlling the house, but in the house knowing and being able to tell you when emails arrive, how many you have, and someday even parse out important details from them.

I won't have time to work on it, but my efforts in generic text parsing may someday be able to enhance the email capabilities if someone else wrote the POP3 plugin...

Vaughn