W800RF problems with new system (64bit?)

jschuryk

W800RF problems with new system (64bit?)

#1 Post by jschuryk » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi,

I've been unable to work on my HA setup for a while, but am trying to rediscover my inner geek. I had my usb W800RF interface working on my old PC, which I have since upgraded to a newer PC. The old one ran Win 7 32bit and OSA 3.7, and the new one win7 64-bit, OSA 3.8 x64 version.

I have a bunch of ds-12As, a handful of MS18As and some MS16A sensors. They all worked great before the computer upgrade. Afterwards, the W800 log file just showed a bunch of spurious signals every time one of the sensors was tripped.

I hooked up the old computer to make sure there wasn't a hardware issue of some sort, and sure enough things worked great. I tried the 800RF demo program and it output the same data on each PC, which leads me to believe the errors are somewhere in the OSA/plugin area, although the plugin appears to be the exact same size, and details. Perhaps this is an issue with 64bit vs 32bit - anybody running a W800RF on 64 bit windows?

I've attached the logs - I think the file names are self explanatory.

Thanks for any help,

Jerry
Attachments
w800RF_tests.zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: W800RF problems with new system (64bit?)

#2 Post by Vaughn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Are you running Serial or USB? Are you using a USB hub?

I just bought a new USB version and on Windows 7 64-bit, the normal sensors are working fine, but the security devices are not working right. They are not working in thier demo app either though.

You issues after rereading you post appear different than mine, but thought I would post my issues and progress too.

Here is the email I just sent to WGL:
"I have been using W800RF units for years, and recently purchased the USB version of it. The unit is working fine for standard X10 devices, but I am having trouble with X10 Security devices. When I first tested with a KR10A, using the W800RF32 Demo Application it did recieve signals from the proper address once or twice, now it just registers as "Unrecognized/Corrupt Packet"

It is reading the bytes in a consistent fashion and does not appear to be seeing any signal garbage. The keychain is showing as: 60 9F A3 53 for Arm and 61 9E A3 53 for disarm, for example and those remain consistent.

The device is plugged into the laptop directly and not through a USB hub. When using a USB hub, it was not working propery at all.

The COM port is running at 9600,N,8,1 with no flow control.

Any information you can provide you be appriciated."

Vaughn

Vaughn
Site Admin

#3 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 am

I may have to rewrite this entire plugin, Again. It uses some rs232 code that look like it may be at the root of the problem... I imported an rs232.vb chunk of code to make it work originally, and it looks like it has 32-bit code within it... I have had to work on this soooo many times over the years and have to start over again. There is no source out there in .NET. I wish all companies took a clue from Phidgets and went to the trouble to make a small sample app, it would help soo many little projects out there instead of making Everybody that wants to use their products have to re-create the wheel all the time...

Vaughn

jschuryk

#4 Post by jschuryk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 am

from what I can tell and remember, the Demo app always showed corrupt packet when reading from the security sensors...the logs I sent have a copy/paste from the Demo app, and the output appears the exact same for both the 32bit (working) and 64bit (not working) versions.

I am using the USB version, plugged directly into the computer...haven't tried a hub, but can if you'd like me to try it.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#5 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 am

Nope, no need. I can see where it is not working. So far the rewrite is kicking my butt though. I just don't get this stuff, their serial protocal and reading from the com port is just too complicated for me.

Vaughn

Datahead

#6 Post by Datahead » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:13 am

jschuryk wrote:from what I can tell and remember, the Demo app always showed corrupt packet when reading from the security sensors...
You are correct as to the demo and the DS-10's they will show up as a Unrecognized/Corrupt Packet in the Demo. Also the demo application will not work if you are running the WS800RF in the OSA Manager. I am still running on a 32 bit machine so I can't be much help there, but I remember the DS-10 issue and the Demo. If you click the check box to report Errors and Details in the demo app the DS-10 should show up.

Ron

Vaughn
Site Admin

#7 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 am

Laugh, I guess it is the simple things sometimes.... In the new code I set it for 9600 baud, and the protocol specifies 4800 baud, getting the right number of packets in now.

Vaughn

Vaughn
Site Admin

#8 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 am

I never wanted to be a bit shifter... I hope I get through this!

Vaughn
Site Admin

#9 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I had to give up for the day earlier, it was too hot and I have frustration issues, but on the good side, this new serial code is like 200 lines of code shorter than the old mess for the W800RF. So once I get these hex values to match up, it will be a MUCH better plugin, and maybe other people will be able to read it too. The current W800RF plugin was upgraded clear from VB6, so this is MUCH nicer... I will try to finish it tonight or tomorrow and it should fix all the o9ld issues that I know several people had.

Vaughn

Vaughn
Site Admin

#10 Post by Vaughn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:19 am

I have finished the W800RF plugin. This is a full rewrite that so 10x simpler than the previous one. Is anyone interested in helping me test it?

If so IM (Gtalk) me when you get a chance, or PM me if you need my IM address.

I offered a non-OSA version of my code for WGL to publish on their page to help other developers, we will see if they accept.

Thanks,
Vaughn