Tip for W800USB users

Datahead

Tip for W800USB users

#1 Post by Datahead » Sun May 06, 2012 2:34 pm

I was having a issue with the range of my W800USB that was driving me crazy because the devices would sometimes work and other times they wouldn't, anyway, I just happened to have a 25 Db UHF/VHS/FM amplifier laying around so I hooked the antenna to the input side and a coaxial cable to the output and fed it into the W800USB. Low and behold everything is working great now. I don't know the exact range, but I am picking up my neighbors alarm system devices in the complex where I have my shop and that is through cinder block walls... LOL.... Just thought I would let you guys know this in case you are having the same issues I was.

Ron

dbemowsk

Re: Tip for W800USB users

#2 Post by dbemowsk » Sun May 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Ron,

Using the UHF/VHF/FM amplifier is probably only going to get you improvement in one direction and that is receiving signals. If you plan to use it for transmitting you may have some trouble. For my CM15A I did a modification and added an F-connector and built myself a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna. Since your W800USB already has the F-connector, you would just need to build the antenna which is pretty cheap and easy. Below is a link to the article that I used to get the basics.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/126- ... -receiver/

The article shows using brass rods for the antennas arial and ground plane. I just used some straightened pieces of 12 gauge copper wire that I had laying around which worked perfect. Once you have the antenna made you can use a piece of standard RG6 cable TV coax to connect it. I made a bracket for mine out of a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum bar that I had. I have read of people that have gotten incredible range from mounting the antenna in their attics. That requires running a long piece of coax cable to where your W800USB is located. Since my HA setup is in the basement utility room, I get all the range I need having mine mounted in my utility room kind of in the center of the house and as close to the ceiling as I could get it. With that I can use my X10 remote out by my backyard pond/water garden which I control the fountain and lights when I am working on it, and that is about 80 feet from my house and probably 90 ~ 95 feet from the antenna in the basement.

An antenna like this will get you the range you want for both transmitting and receiving.

Datahead

#3 Post by Datahead » Thu May 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey Guys.
Might be a dumb question, but after reading over these post again a question came to mind. I was under the impression that the W800USB was just a receiver is this correct or does it transmit also? I built the antenna described in the link that Dan posted and am getting ready to hook it up. Wish me luck... LOL... I'll let you know if there is a improvement.

Ron

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#4 Post by bwoodworth » Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Yes, the W800USB is only a receiver.
Brian

Datahead

#5 Post by Datahead » Thu May 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks Brian,
By the way that antenna works like a champ. I am still using the 25db amp but so far it is working like a dream.

Ron

dbemowsk

#6 Post by dbemowsk » Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 pm

I guess I didn't realize it was only a receiver.

Datahead

#7 Post by Datahead » Fri May 11, 2012 7:00 am

By the way Dan, is that your back yard? If so you did a great job with the water feature. Living in Southern Ca. my back yard is more a postage stamp but my wife has grandiose ideas for it including a water feature. Just not on such a grand scale. I have yet to bring OSA home yet as I figured I would work the bugs out at my shop and then incorporate into the house once It is working but were getting close. The Range of the W800RF was a major hurdle in the progress of getting it to the house. Thanks for all the help my friends. Just wanted to say great job on the back yard Dan!!!

Ron

dbemowsk

#8 Post by dbemowsk » Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Datahead wrote:By the way Dan, is that your back yard?
Yes, that's my back yard. After I bought the house that back corner of the yard was a bit of a pain with the gnarly bushes. I decided I wanted something for a water feature, but didn't know what, so I just dug a hole. Then I had this pile of dirt that I didn't know what to do with, so I decided to make that the upper pond and stream. It just kind of grew from there. I spent less than $1000 on the whole thing. Got all of the rock for free from a local farmer that was happy to have me haul the piles off of the sides of his field.

I am still trying to dream up features that I can automate on it. Currently I can control the fountain, the fountain LED ring light, and the under water lights that shine on the bridge and waterfall.

Dan