timing problems with cm15a

winger

timing problems with cm15a

#1 Post by winger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

I am using the cm15a for x10. I am trying to use the x10 power horn as a siren. The documentation says to turn the channel on and off contiuously and the siren will sound and stop shortly after you quit. I have gotten this to work, but I cannot get osa to send the on/off consistanly fast enough for this to work.

I tried setting an appliance module to the channel so I could see the commands and the timing is really strange. Sometimes it will turn off immediately after turn on but most of the time the is more than 1 second between on off switches. I have had the siren go on with this but it works only occasionally and I cannot sustain the siren.

I am using power script for this and it looks like this:
for ($i=0 ; $i -le 30 ; $i++)
{
invoke-osa -name "siren" -method "On"
invoke-osa -name "siren" -method "Off"
}

siren is and x10 relay module. Any idea on a better way to do this? A special cm15 command or a power horn plugin?

Datahead

Re: timing problems with cm15a

#2 Post by Datahead » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 am

I have ran into this issue with the screw in X-10 relays that set up the same way. I just happen to have one of those plug in four unit controllers that I use just for this purpose. As to writing a script I don't know if that will turn on and off the device fast enough.

Ron

Website for controller:
http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/phc01b.html

winger

#3 Post by winger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 am

Yes, I have some hand held 8 channel controllers and I can control it with that too. But I am setting up a security system and I need osa to turn a siren on/off. I could use some stand alone sirens and hard wire them to relays, but I had a couple of these and it's nice to have more than one in different locations and not have to hard wire them to the computer.

Datahead

#4 Post by Datahead » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:54 am

Winger,
Sorry, I misunderdood your question. I thought you were talking about setting the House code for the device.

EDIT:
I just read the instructions for the X-10 PowerHorn. Not sure what to do if OSA won't cycle fast enough. Seems to me they would have the thing Sound off when the device is on and not when the device is off. Kind of a dumb way for the thing to be activated.

winger

#5 Post by winger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 am

It seems like a problem the could be handled in the plugin itself. Somehow handle a command to cycle on/off within the plugin. Maybe methods 'siren on' and 'siren off' and the plugin does the work. I guess I don't know enough about osa to know if this is possible. The plugin would need to use a thread while cycling, without making osa wait.

I have not yet started to look into coding a plugin though I am thinking about doing an xbee plugin eventually (unless someone is already working on one).

Mat

#6 Post by Mat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 am

What are you using to communicate with your X10 devices e.g. rfxcom, cm...?

winger

#7 Post by winger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 am

cm15a.

Datahead

#8 Post by Datahead » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:44 am

Mat
Here is the link to the manual for the Power Horn. It seems the problem is how the horn is activated.

Link:
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ph508-is.pdf

Automate

#9 Post by Automate » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 am

winger wrote:It seems like a problem the could be handled in the plugin itself. Somehow handle a command to cycle on/off within the plugin. Maybe methods 'siren on' and 'siren off' and the plugin does the work.
This is possible with modifications to the plugin.