x10 plugin CM15A - does this support 2 way communication?

dj-eon

x10 plugin CM15A - does this support 2 way communication?

#1 Post by dj-eon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 am

Hi there.

I've been designing some home automation hardware recently.
To speed up design time, what I have designed so far works via an X10 receiver over RF.

My question is, can the CM15A plugin query x10 devices for their state?

I know there isn't much in the x10 range that supports this (if any) .

Thanks.

If anyone is interested, I will post links to build hardware at some point in the future.
This kit will be extremely easy and cheap to build, particularly sensors. But will need you to be handy with a soldering iron.

kherron

Re: x10 plugin CM15A - does this support 2 way communication

#2 Post by kherron » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 am

I'm not very sure, but I do not think so.

Almost all X-10 devices have only 1-way communications.

For example, relays, switches and modules to do NOT report their state back to the controller.
And Motion sensors, door/window sensors or wireless sensors do NOT accept commands.

So depending on the device, communications is either In or Out, not both.

Now, with that said, if you can make your device send a repose back, then it could possibly be done.

For example, a switch module and a Wireless door sensor could be used together in a custom device.
Where the Wireless sensor sends back the state of the module, On or Off.
(Would require a little experience in electronics)
However, this would still not make it able to POLL devices for their status.

Datahead

#3 Post by Datahead » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi there,
The simple answer would be no... As far as I know X-10 does not have polling capability. My system consist of a W800RF to to receive sensor data, and X-10 switches to turn thins on and off. But the two are separate plugins and devices in OSA.

dj-eon

#4 Post by dj-eon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi folks.
I can program my hardware to respond with status updates when requested.
Since my first post, I have looked this up. X10 does have some status request support, but I've no idea if the cm15 hardware or the x10/cm15 plugin for osa support them. I'll assume not.

I have also realised now that the x10 protocol is not suitable for my plans in other ways, mainly temperature sensor reports.

Let me briefly explain what I am aiming for.

Battery powered temperature sensors that will broadcast over rf the temp for each room.

Taking control of danfoss central heating over rf (and probably other brands in the future)

Multiple appliance control and local override from one module (as well as other bells and whistles!).

I have a lot of this working already, but I need to get it interfaced with osa.

I'm hoping at this point there is a chance that there is an OSA plugin that might support this already.
Otherwise, I may need to have a go at writing or modifying someone else's plugin, unless someone else wants to have a go for me :-)

Ian.

kherron

#5 Post by kherron » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Well, I know my CM19a sees my wireless door sensors battery beacon every hour or so.
Doesn't see the door opened or closed, but does see the battery beacon.....

Anyhow, the X-10 plugin does have a recvAction method that receives RF singnals from devices.
It appears to currently accept up to 5 parameters.

So, whit that said, if you can program the devices to respond, and the information you want it to send,
then you could take a copy of the X-10 plugin, and re-work the recvAction method to process the additional status information you send back.

You could then populate property values and status information for you devices.

However, unless your developing the devices to respond, It's not the CM15a that you have an issue with, it's the fact that NO X-10 devices have a command that you can send to them that tells them to send back information.

dj-eon

#6 Post by dj-eon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:16 am

Hi Kherron.

Yes, it is a shame that generally x10 devices don't show their status.
I've seen the x10 command set on a few websites that do show a status request possibility.

This one for example (Look at the chart just over half way down the page):
http://www.rfwireless-world.com/Termino ... asics.html

If someone could modify the OSA CM15a plugin to work with these status commands over RF (I'm not concerned about powerlines) then my designs will work with OSA.
I'm sure its easier to just edit this existing plugin rather than writing a new one from scratch.

I have knowledge in several programming languages, but almost none with Microsofts stuff. The only thing I've ever touched of theirs was Visual Basic about 15 years ago.

I'm quite exited about this project. I've already managed to take control of all my x10 hardware, my boiler and even some very cheap wireless appliance modules:
http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/ ... p?t=332265

Everything will be wrote up on my website when I eventually get around to it.

Ian.

edit - I've just noticed that OSA does transmit x10 codes over RF. I've just tried with the X10 RELAY option, so I may have a workaround.

(Now I have a technical issue with my CM15a transmitting RF for some reason at a higher clock rate than it should ! AARRGGHH !!)

Datahead

#7 Post by Datahead » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:43 am

Hi all,
By the way, nice web site Ian... (Grin). Anyway, yes please let us know about the RF transmit on the CM15a. I am slowly but surely phasing over to Insteon but still have a lot of X-10 stuff.

My system actually consist of three different applications that actually work very well together. Using a W800RF, CM11A, and a Insteon PLM. I am using OSA as the main program, and have interfaced Arduino touch screens for control using a Open Remote server and Event Ghost for misc. control. Seems to work real good once it is programmed. It is however labor intensive at first to get it all working in conjunction.

http://www.openremote.org/display/HOME/OpenRemote

dj-eon

#8 Post by dj-eon » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 am

Hi Datahead.
Is seems a fault has developed on my CM15a with RF transmitting. It definitely does transmit using OSA though.

I also have a mix of gear for my home automation. 6x X10 PIR's (converted from 310 Mhz to 434 Mhz)
and 5x z-wave appliance sockets.
That z-wave mesh network I have to say is very temperamental. If the missus unplugs one, the whole z-wave netowork can go down until either a reboot of OSA, or the device is plugged back in.
It has become a little more reliable since I bought more sockets though.

I have an android tablet on the wall near my front door that is nicely showing the status of all OSA's devices, along with the time/date and weather for today and tomorrow.
It also shows who is at home by pinging their mobile phone every 15 minutes.
Its not quite as slick as the tablet in your website link though!

I briefly looked at the source code of the CM15A plugin on github I think its called.
Didn't realise it was written in Visual Basic. I think I can do something with that to get communications between OSA and my hardware, but this is still a long way off.

Anyway, I shall continue chipping away at programming my hardware. Once this is all complete (some weeks at a guess), I will look at a plugin, unless someone wants to write it for me? :-)

Datahead

#9 Post by Datahead » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:28 am

Ian,
Yes it is a process for sure. I have pretty much been here since the Vcrib days and OSA has improved leaps and bounds since then. I will be interested to see how the application works once Vaughn has integrated more AI to the mix. The thing I like about X-10 is obviously the cost, but I am slowly moving to Insteon products. At the moment I am attempting to put a few camera's in the mix... More for the wow factor than anything else. The thing I like about using Andriod tablets is it make for a cool interface and a 10.1" tablet is around $80 so it doesn't break the bank either. I am also working on a Arduino based RF weather station to hook up to OSA as well. At least it keeps me out of trouble.

Ron

Vaughn
Site Admin

#10 Post by Vaughn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 pm

I did not have time to read the whole thread right now, but to be clear: Our plugin supports whatever the X10 SDK supports, or should.

I quit working on the X10 SDK because of THEIR lack of support for it though. I can slap some code changes in if someone needs, but I can't test them until I tackle the 64-bit issue on my system and it has been on my list for a couple years =( So if ya need me to do something yell loud else I mostly ignore the X10 products now.

Vaughn