Fresh OSA Install...Z-Wave How To

jonbenwaa

Fresh OSA Install...Z-Wave How To

#1 Post by jonbenwaa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Well first off let me say thanks for everything you guys have already done. I'm really excited to get my set up fully operational. However, I am definitely a visual learner and like to have step by step how-to's. While the videos are helpful, I haven't really found one specific to the HA newb trying to set up his first Z-Wave device with OSA. So here it goes.

Hardware setup:

PC - Old Dell 1505E with a fresh Windows 7 32bit (x86) install of OSA 3.8

Aeon Labs Z-stick Series 2 USB Dongle

GE 45605 Z-Wave Outdoor Module

=========================================

So before doing anything with OSA, I went to the Aeon Labs website to install the driver for the dongle. I downloaded "Drivers - Windows 7" as underlined below.

This is pretty straightforward- no need to document these steps, but here's what it looks like once complete.

And just to double check it, or if you didn't remember which COM it's attached to, you can go to Start -> Right click "Computer"-> Manage
and then under Device Manager you should see it.

So after this was complete. I disconnected the dongle from the PC and then pressed the button until the light started flashing. I then walked up to my GE Outlet and pressed the button on it GE Outlet until the dongle flashed a few times quickly. The dongle is now aware of the GE Plug, and we are cooking with gas.

So after the clean install of OSA 3.8, my OSA Manager looks like follows:

So now I go and get the Z-Wave plugin found here http://www.opensourceautomation.com/plu ... 12273b8758

After I download the ZWave_0.3.21.osapp file from the plug-in page, I go to the OSA directory and run the "PluginInstaller.exe"

Once opened, I clicked the install button in the top corner and found where I had saved the ZWave_0.3.21.osapp file.

Then I clicked Install

Package installed

Now after this happened, I restarted OSA and can now see the plugin. With the OSA stopped, I click the settings button.

When this pop-up, I set Debugging to TRUE

So I crank up OSA and make sure the plugin is running, and it is writing a log file now to the \OSA\Logs directory called "ZWave.log". Since the plugin is running and writing logs, I stop OSA again. Now I go to the "[Official Thread] Z-Wave Plugin Support Thread" found herehttp://www.opensourceautomation.com/php ... d-t93.html and download the OZWForm.zip file in the first post.

I extract the zip file and place the OZWForm.exe file in the plugin directory.

I go ahead and run the OZWForm.exe (I have two switches connected to the Dongle, but only Node 3 is plugged in at the moment)

and after it finds the nodes, I am successfully able to right click on Node 3, click properties and can turn the lights connected to the GE switch On and Off.

So this is as far as I've gotten. I've set up a basic screen in the OSA GUI, and after following the videos I start with attempting to add control -> State Image and set one up for a ZWave binary switch, and even at this step i attempt to click the little light bulb icon on and off like the video is able to do with the TV object, and it doesn't turn on and off. I am a complete newb to this, but definitely dedicated to getting this thing rocking and making one of the best set-up with full demo's and doco...just need a hand from here.

If there is a step I missed along the way, please point it out and I will go through and update the doco to what it should be for the next batch of newbs that come around.

-jon

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Fresh OSA Install...Z-Wave How To

#2 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Wow! I am impressed by how thorough your step-by-step guide.

First thing I would like to mention is that there is no need to download and run the OZWForm app unless you have a device that is not currently supported. The main purpose of that app is to get the information I need to add support for new devices. Of course it does also work as an app to make sure your device is working as you have found out.

The first thing I would suggest you do is look in the objects screen to see if your Binary Switch object has been created. All of your ZWave objects should be created automatically is they don't exist. Once you are sure you have your Binary Switch object created you can test out if it is working by selecting the ON and OFF methods on the object screen. Once you know that works, then add the State image for the Binary Switch object that was created. You can also look in the ZWave log to see a bit more about what is going on and see what address your Binary Switch is on and make sure it matches the object in OSA.
Brian

jonbenwaa

#3 Post by jonbenwaa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 pm

bwoodworth wrote:Wow! I am impressed by how thorough your step-by-step guide.

First thing I would like to mention is that there is no need to download and run the OZWForm app unless you have a device that is not currently supported. The main purpose of that app is to get the information I need to add support for new devices. Of course it does also work as an app to make sure your device is working as you have found out.
Okay, good to know for future reference. I wasn't sure if the form app played some form of role of updating the addresses to the devices or something.
bwoodworth wrote: The first thing I would suggest you do is look in the objects screen to see if your Binary Switch object has been created. All of your ZWave objects should be created automatically is they don't exist.
Here is a peek at my Objects Screen.

And here is what my Object Types look like. I see the ZWave binary switch is owned by the Zwave controller, but not sure if I needed to mess with any of the settings.

bwoodworth wrote: Once you are sure you have your Binary Switch object created you can test out if it is working by selecting the ON and OFF methods on the object screen. Once you know that works, then add the State image for the Binary Switch object that was created. You can also look in the ZWave log to see a bit more about what is going on and see what address your Binary Switch is on and make sure it matches the object in OSA.
Well since the object wasn't created, I'll hold off on this section for the time being. But please let me know if something looks off.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#4 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 pm

It looks like you have not configured your ZWave plugin object yet. You need to put the port number in the Port property for your ZWave-JARVIS object. Once you do that you will need to restart the plugin by unchecking and then rechecking the checkbox in the Manager or by just restarting the whole service. Now go back to the objects screen to see if your binary switch object has been generated. It may take a minute. You can refresh the grid by double clicking anywhere inside the grid. You can also check the ZWave log in the logs directory to see what is happening.
Brian

jonbenwaa

#5 Post by jonbenwaa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:48 pm

bwoodworth wrote:It looks like you have not configured your ZWave plugin object yet. You need to put the port number in the Port property for your ZWave-JARVIS object.
I added port 4 on the right side in the Object Window

bwoodworth wrote: Once you do that you will need to restart the plugin by unchecking and then rechecking the checkbox in the Manager or by just restarting the whole service.
I stopped and started the plugin, then checked the ZWave.log file

bwoodworth wrote: Now go back to the objects screen to see if your binary switch object has been generated. It may take a minute. You can refresh the grid by double clicking anywhere inside the grid. You can also check the ZWave log in the logs directory to see what is happening.
Booom there they be.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#6 Post by bwoodworth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Cool. Looks like you got it working. Now try to add your state image on your screen to toggle it on and off.
Brian

jonbenwaa

#7 Post by jonbenwaa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:37 am

bwoodworth wrote:Cool. Looks like you got it working. Now try to add your state image on your screen to toggle it on and off.
You got it man.

Ok now that they are all in place, I load the OSA GUI up with a screen I made real quick, then as per the videos, right clicked on the screen -> Add Control -> State Image

Then picked my images for both on and off then click add.

Now I have the state image for the control added, and I simply click on and off to toggle it.

On

Off

And everything is working like a champ.

I'll continue to post updates as I do more stuff, which will be sooner rather than later as I definitely see this becoming my new hobby/addiction.

jonbenwaa

#8 Post by jonbenwaa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 am

Screw work..still playing around with this.

So now that I have an associated object, time to set up a script and schedule it.

***Create the Script
Open the GUI and go to Tools -> Named Scripts

Click on any of the current scripts and type over the name, and I went ahead and added a "Natural Language Matches" entry while I was there and then Add

Once the script has been written, I click the edit button to add functionality to the script. This will bring up the script editor. I typed in the Object (in this case "Binary Power Switch - Z3" and then then "Run Method" and then "On". While I had this, I hit the Run Script Button just to make sure it worked. That's what is showing up on in the output window at the bottom.

(I went ahead and created another script called "Lights Off" that is the same as above but the Run Method was "Off", obviously.)

***Create the Schedule
So now I have two named scripts to turn the plugs on and off. I want to create a schedule for these scripts, because I'm feeling extremely lazy in my late 20's.
Open the GUI and go to Tools -> Schedules

This will bring up Scheduling. I don't have any schedules yet, So I created a new one. On the right side I inputted my rule and actions.

Then Click Add

Then I added the other script so now I have a scheduled On and Off method that will run.

jonbenwaa

#9 Post by jonbenwaa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:26 am

Also I am still unsure where to post what, I went through the bug tracker to see if this was a known issue and didn't see it, but if I overlooked it then forgive me.

When I was writing the schedule I wanted to set up the lights to turn on every 5 minutes just to test out the scheduler, and got an error.

*GUI.log*
06/13/2012 11:16:46.697 AM -
ScheduleRecurringAdd error:
CALL osae_sp_schedule_recurring_add(
@ScheduleName, @Object, @Method, @Parameter1, @Parameter2, @Pattern, @RecurringTime, @Sunday, @Monday, @Tuesday, @Wednesday, @Thursday, @Friday, @Saturday, @Interval, @RecurringMinutes, @RecurringDay, @RecurringDate)
- error: Incorrect datetime value: '2012-06-13 2012-06-13 11:36:46' for column 'pscheduleddate' at row 1

the datetime value being inserted is pulling the date and the datetime...I have yet to look at the mysql schema or anything under development yet, but I do know that this isn't a correct format for any kind of datetime column :P

jonbenwaa

#10 Post by jonbenwaa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:33 am

Might as well post this up too while I'm in documentation mode.

I was playing around with my screen a few times and noticed when I deleted my previous one from the objects I kept having to set the the screen again. So I spent a minute looking around and saw how to set the default one back. (This is after you have created a new screen, but it's not loading on startup).

After loading the GUI, Right Click -> Tools -> Objects

In Objects, find your GUI Client and on the right side change your Default Screen Properties from whatever it was before to your new Screen. I had previously had a screen called "Screen - Home" that I deleted, But my new one called "Screen - LivingRoom" was already set up as an object so I simply changed the Value under the GUI Client GUI to the new screen object.