Need help getting Z-Wave working

dj-eon

Need help getting Z-Wave working

#1 Post by dj-eon » Thu May 14, 2015 3:54 am

Hi There. I'm hoping someone can help me here as the issue I have is driving me bonkers !

I have OSA v0.43 running in a virtual windows 7 x32 with an aeon stick s2 USB using z-wave plugin 0.54.
Now this works perfectly, and has done for a long time.

I'm now looking to switch to a non virtual setup.
I have setup everything as it is in the virtual version, but I cannot get Z-wave to work.

Ozwform crashes and the error box just says it has stopped working when I run it, making me think that something isn't installed.

I have all the same things installed on both Windows setups.

Note that I am switching the hardware between machines and then rebooting. I'm not just unplugging and plugging in.
The virtual machine continues to work whenever the hardware is re-plugged in.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ian.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Need help getting Z-Wave working

#2 Post by bwoodworth » Thu May 14, 2015 8:08 am

If you are trying to get a new machine set up I would strongly recommend starting with the latest version of OSA. There are so many fixes and enhancements that it will definitely be a better experience. There have also been updates to the ZWave plugin that require the latest version of OSA.
Brian

dj-eon

#3 Post by dj-eon » Sat May 16, 2015 7:20 am

I have managed to get 0.4.3 up again in win7 x32 (no joy in x64). I think it was to do with the event timer line I needed to add to my.ini in the Mysql folder, but could have been something else.

----------

I'm struggling to get 0.4.5 to install at all though. I have only tried on win7 x64.
At the point of entering the username/password and location of mysql.exe I get the response:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...... giving me the option to continue or quit.

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'2) ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP(2),
entry VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
debug_trac' at line 3.

I am using Mysql v5.1. Let me revert my system back and try again with MySQL 5.6.
----
edit
----

Ok, switched to MySQL 5.6.
I now get an error during installing osa 0.4.5 saying that
Server name contains invalid characters, is empty, or is too long (max length = 80).
This looks like its at the point where its trying to install the database (dbinstall.exe)

Best regards,
Ian.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#4 Post by Vaughn » Sat May 16, 2015 8:14 am

Yes, that Timestamp(2) feature is ONLY available in the 5.6 or greater of MySQL. It is a new feature MySQL just added that we have wanted for a long time.

Vaughn

dj-eon

#5 Post by dj-eon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:01 am

Just for info, I did eventually get OSA 0.4.5 installed. I read on another post here that the MySQL service name must be MySQL, not anything else like MySQL56 as it was defaulting to.

After changing this, OSA installed ok.

I had further issues with the main OSA service not starting. I noticed in the Windows Error log that it was somehow related to MySQL.
This was solved by giving the MySQL OSA user higher privileges which I changed using the MySQL workbench.

Just thought I'd mention these steps as it took me a few hours to figure them out.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#6 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I can't get Workbench to install on my test machine to delete and test the Create User part of the install (it is complaining about Ruby being installed I think). I am down to 2 computers (a dev box and a single text box). I can eventually get to it, but honestly I am so deep reworking the core, I cant be distracted with installer and test work for a while.
Anyways, these are the 3 lines the installer runs:

ExecWait '"$PROGRAMFILES64\MySql\bin\mysql" -uroot -ppassword --execute "CREATE USER `osae`@`%` IDENTIFIED BY $\'osaePass$\'";'
ExecWait '"$PROGRAMFILES64\MySql\bin\mysql" -uroot -ppassword --execute "GRANT ALL ON osae.* TO `osae`@`%`";'
ExecWait '"$PROGRAMFILES64\MySql\bin\mysql" -uroot -ppassword --execute "GRANT SUPER PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO `osae`@`%`";'

I am not sure if you get an error in the install log for it or not. These lines could be tested from command line after deleting your osae user account to validate if they are still good, maybe it is a path issue there. I had to salvage an installer that was several years old, and it is possible the command format has changed since then.

The installer is ok with other MySQL service names, or should be, but maybe our service isn't or something. But I am not sure where that is breaking on you, I would have to setup a test scenario here for it, and again, it would take a few hours at least. So I will put it on the list of requirements for the release to get published, and maybe someone will have some time to take a look.

SimpleSC::ExistsService "MySql"
Pop $0
SimpleSC::ExistsService "MySql55"
Pop $1
SimpleSC::ExistsService "MySQL"
Pop $2
SimpleSC::ExistsService "MySql56"
Pop $3

Sorry for your pain, 044/045 were experiments with this new installer, and just did not have proper testing. I need a proper lab or more help, and I am working on that too.

Vaughn

Automate

#7 Post by Automate » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Vaughn wrote:I can't get Workbench to install on my test machine
You may want to try http://www.heidisql.com Much lighter weight and quicker install than Workbench. It also can be used with MS SQL and PostgreSQL along with MySQL.

Vaughn
Site Admin

#8 Post by Vaughn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:44 pm

I use DB Forge for all my design work, etc, but it does not manage the user accounts directly, although I can set them via SQL. It is more of a time issue than a tech issue though. I have a big wish list of things I consider a must that I have been tearing though, and always finding more fixes to do while testing. Once I am tired of programming features, I will do whatever still needs to be done on the installer at that point.

I would like to see about getting our installer to install MySQL again, but as an option. But that is sooo much testing and I am just not setup to do it at this point. Come fall/winter I will get an additional computer or two once the new intel chips and Windows 10 are out and maybe setup a proper lab to help...

Vaughn