How to extend Z Wave controller range?

Maximo

How to extend Z Wave controller range?

#1 Post by Maximo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm after a little help and advice with my Z Wave configuration. Firstly I'm in the UK.

I'm using an Aeon Labs Z Wave USB controller attached to my server that is in a bricked wall garage. I have a temperature sensor that's about 30 meters away, at one end of the garden. Although this should be within the range of the controller it's not working.

Can any suggest how I can either extend the range or how best to resolve my issue?

I know my description is great so please fire away with questions to get a better understanding of where I'm at.

Cheers,

Garry

Automate

Re: How to extend Z Wave controller range?

#2 Post by Automate » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Z-wave uses a mesh network. This means that nodes (Z-wave devices) can re-transmit a signal to extend the range of the network.

Battery powered devices do not re-transmit in the mesh because it would run down their batteries too fast. Therefor you need a line powered device like an outlet or light switch.

I'm guessing the best place for one would be somewhere on the other side of the brick wall between your USB controller and the temperature sensor.

Maximo

#3 Post by Maximo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking along those lines but wanted to see if there was an alternative. Do powerline Z Wave devices need to be told to expand the network or do they do that re-transmit signals by default?

Thanks,

Garry

Automate

#4 Post by Automate » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Take a look here http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/

If you filter by "Generic Class" you will see a few that are "Repeater Slave". There are designed specifically to repeat.

But other devices should work also. Look for ones with the listen flag and routing flag.