Let There Be Light

A place for people to share how they are using Open Source Automation and show off any projects they are working on.
Maximo

Let There Be Light

#1 Post by Maximo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 am

So as you can see from subject line I'm doing a lighting project. The aim is to be able to control as many of the lights in my home as possible. Currently I'm using X10 and a number of plugin modules to get me started.

The idea is to have a motion sensor in each of the rooms controlling the lights both manually and automaticly. One of the aims is that I have three kids and like most they seem to have a problem with switching off lights when they are not in a room. I'd also like to be able to switch on lights at a low level if someone get's up durring the night for a toilet break.

I also have a number of outdoor lights that I would like to control with motion sensors and have one in place at the moment. I'm trying to find the right location for the sensor at present. Once I've got the outside lights working well I'm hoping that doing the rest will be straight forward.

Cheers

Garry

Maximo

Re: Let There Be Light

#2 Post by Maximo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:38 am

Although I haven't made any major in roads on my project I have at least been able to test out the idea in my Garage.

At the back of the garage I have an X10 PIR type sensor which is sending signal's over RF. The X10 RF receiver is also in the garage so I have a good stable setup. There are two light strips connected to an X10 din relay in the consumer box. When the garge door is opened the lights come on and as the sensor keeps a track of you they stay on until either you stop moving for more than 120 seconds or leave the garage and close the door.

This seems to all work fine although I'm going to keep testing it for a few more weeks yet. But the idea seems to work and with WUnderground providing a means of knowing if it's night or day I can control when the lights are required, however at the moment there is no restrictions in place.