Super simple Christmas Tree Control

A place for people to share how they are using Open Source Automation and show off any projects they are working on.
Milenko

Super simple Christmas Tree Control

#1 Post by Milenko » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey all,

Just a quick little project I threw together tonight as an example of how to setup the jabber client. You can see the full example on the jabber page on the wiki, but I thought I'd add it here as well as a quick little example of something fun you can do with OSA.

So I have my Christmas Tree plugged into a Z-Wave appliance module and I want to be able to control it from my phone. Mostly just so I can say I can turn my tree on with my phone. :) The kids think it's hilarious and I get quite a bit of nerdy satisfaction out of it as well.

I setup two named scripts, as you can see here:

Note the language match of "tree off" and "tree on" (not seen).

To go along with these named scripts, I created the following simple scripts in the script editor:

You can see it turns the appliance module on or off and then sends a confirmation message back to my phone that it received the message and ran the script. One could make it one step better by sending the message using the appliance modules' on/off events to know for sure that the tree is off. This is how I've actually setup my script, but I wanted to keep the number of screenshots down. :)

So from my Android phone I use the Google Talk messaging app to send a message of "tree on" or "tree off" to control my Christmas Tree. Mission Accomplished!!!

Happy Holidays All!!!

AlexSG

Re: Super simple Christmas Tree Control

#2 Post by AlexSG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Heh, very nice.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Super simple Christmas Tree Control

#3 Post by bwoodworth » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Have tried the web UI yet? I use the mobile version from my phone to turn my tree light on and off! I :)
Brian