My Garage Door Project

A place for people to share how they are using Open Source Automation and show off any projects they are working on.
Milenko

My Garage Door Project

#1 Post by Milenko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Hey all,

Thought I'd take a couple minutes to show off my current project, which is monitoring and controlling my garage doors. My wife and I have both, on occasion, forgotten to close the doors when pulling away or overnight and there's too many of my toys in there to have that happening.

Right now this is a work in progress, so nothing is mounted properly or looks very pretty. That will change once I'm done testing.

My garage door openers attach to the torsion bar instead of the standard overhead setup. Since this keeps them from locking the door when down, they have these remote units to lock the doors in the down position. You can see in the next two pics that the locks have ears that slide back and forth for manual control of the lock. This was the perfect place to mount the contact sensors for the DS10a.

Here is the locked closed:

And here it's open:

The DS10a sensor mounted above the lock:

So this sends the signal to OSA whenever the door is cycled. The only bad thing so far about the X10 gear is that the sensor can't be polled to find its' status. So far that hasn't been an issue, but could be fixed by using one of the Z-Wave sensors. Right now I have OSA sending me an email whenever either of the doors opens or closes and it hasn't missed a single cycle yet. The X10 wireless with the CM15a has been rock solid since I did the popular antenna mod. Why X10 didn't do that from the factory is beyond me...

In order to control the doors I opted to go with the UM506 relay from X10. I took apart an extra remote for the garage doors and removed the button from the circuit board. I then soldered leads onto the pads where the button was connected, and wired those leads to the UM506.

Here's the remote:

And here's the UM506:

Right now all that's automated is a scheduled event that fires at 11pm and 8:30am that checks to make sure the doors are closed and if not, shuts them and then fires off an email so I know they were left open. I plan on adding more to the script once I start putting the house into vacant and occupied modes when people come and go. Ultimately I want OSA to make sure the doors are shut right away when there's no one home and only alert me that they're open after a specified amount of time if the house is occupied. I plan on leaving the 11pm event running, as I can't imagine why I'd want either of the doors open after that time of night.

Once I'm able to purchase a couple Z-Wave wall switches to control various lights I'll get to work on figuring out how to vacate and occupy the house. Another pet peeve of mine is the children leaving lights on when we leave to go somewhere, so this will all tie into that as well.

-Jeremy

Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: My Garage Door Project

#2 Post by Vaughn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm

If a wired solution is not out of the question, I really recommend a Phidgets 8/8/8 or similar board. With 8 Digital and 8 Analog Inputs and 8 Digital output, you can run a few projects off of the same board in OSA... Though you really should have to poll even with the DS10A unless you are missing a lot of updates from it due to range or something. I found they kept pretty good stats and will auto update themselves once an hour incase you did miss a signal, it will eventually correct itself.

I am a big fan of projects using the DS10a though. Like my home gym automation and stuff. I have yet to attempt anything on this garage door, although I have extra openers to try and hack...

Vaughn

Milenko

#3 Post by Milenko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:08 pm

They've been rock solid so far, haven't missed a beat. What made the whole thing finally start working was the antenna mod to the CM15a. So far for my small setup the X10 stuff fits the bill and is cheap, cheap, cheap compared to anything zwave.

I plan on using one of the X10 slim stick on wall switches near the entry to the house for setting the house modes. I can't think of any cheaper way to do occupancy, so that'll have to work for now. Should have a high WAF too since it'll be on button to push instead of making the lap around the house to check all the lights, etc.

-Jeremy

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Milenko

#4 Post by Milenko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Will also check out the Phidget boards. I can see where they'd prove useful.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#5 Post by bwoodworth » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 pm

@Milenko -

Thanks for sharing your project! Those DS10A's are so cheap and can be used in so many projects you can never have too many. I hope to see more projects from other users. Maybe even enough to make a Showcase forum just for that.
Brian

Vaughn
Site Admin

#6 Post by Vaughn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Did you have to do something special for OSA to see the X10 Security codes? I saw where someone was talking about having to route it through AHP and stuff. Did you have to do that, or is our plugin for the CM15A seeing them?

I have my CM15A out and will be using it in the van for main automation and I would like to be able to use some DS10A, but will mostly use Phidgets for USB power issues... (I will be running off of batteries alot and CM15A will go down when the inverter is off..., Phidgets will run off of the laptop's power then and stay going... at least for a couple more hours), so anyways, would be interested in getting current on the CM15A security code topic..

Remember, you can use DS10A with garage door contacts, to see when it is open (they mount into the concrete at the base). You can also put multiple DS10As at different heights so you can tell a few door positions, so if you leave it open a little for air, and a theif opens it farther, it will trip an alarm...

My last house had an AB8SS in it, so the Garage got it own speaker and could talk to you without bothering the whole house n stuff. I really enjoyed it =(

Vaughn

Vaughn

AlexSG

#7 Post by AlexSG » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I like the idea. I have left mine open a time or 2.

I understand the dreaded feeling of possible loss. My entire Lab/Shop with my rack, servers, computer networking and repair equipment resides in my garage(wife's law). Its in a tandom bay I walled off but that would not be hard to access after walking in.

Milenko

#8 Post by Milenko » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 am

If you don't have a convenient way to mount the sensors like I did, then you can use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Door-Conta ... B0013CQXO6

I didn't go that route because I didn't want to have to put holes in my new garage floor. :) If I ever have a problem with these sensors, I would probably go that route. I've read very good things about them.

Vaughn, I did have to do some work in AHP to use the DS10a sensors. The AHP SDK doesn't expose events from any of the security sensors and so the plugin can't see them. What I did was in AHP create a macro that toggles a dummy switch on and off based on the state of the DS10a. I have that dummy switch setup as an object in OSA and can see the state that way. It all runs in the CM15A, so you don't need the computer once you've setup the macros. It's a kludge, but it works just fine. Someday if I get a W800RF that will change. Can't see spending the $80 on that right now when I'm still building the system. Maybe later once it's all done and it's time to refine things. We'll see.

The DS10As are fine little sensors, and you can wire them up to almost anything. Limit switches, any kind of contact switch, you could even trigger them from a relay to test if high voltage circuits are live. Lots of possibilities, and they're only like $10!!

kherron

#9 Post by kherron » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 am

@ Milenko,

When you mentioned
I did have to do some work in AHP to use the DS10a sensors.
If I am correct, you MUST also have "OnAlert" before AHP will see the DS10a's?

Milenko

#10 Post by Milenko » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Yes, that is correct. It came with the package when I bought my CM15a.