Arduino Question

General discussion about Open Source Automation
albert2013

Arduino Question

#1 Post by albert2013 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi there What Do I need to do to make OSA talk to Arduino so I can send it commands via OSA I'm planing to use Arduino to control my lighting and Appliances so I don't have to use X10 Hardware anymore

any ideas what I need to do or where to go for help

Datahead

Re: Arduino Question

#2 Post by Datahead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:36 pm

For the moment there has not been much work done as far as communication from OSA to the Arduino board. However that being said we are in the process of attempting to interface with the panStamp board which is a wireless version of Arduino. We have just started the development though. There is a way that Arduino can send data to OSA. See the project in the wiki.

http://www.opensourceautomation.com/wik ... as_Arduino

It uses COSM / Xlively to communicate data back to OSA.

Ron

albert2013

#3 Post by albert2013 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Datahead wrote:For the moment there has not been much work done as far as communication from OSA to the Arduino board. However that being said we are in the process of attempting to interface with the panStamp board which is a wireless version of Arduino. We have just started the development though. There is a way that Arduino can send data to OSA. See the project in the wiki.

http://www.opensourceautomation.com/wik ... as_Arduino

It uses COSM / Xlively to communicate data back to OSA.

Ron
can you do the same things with panStamp like tun on lights and control Appliaces and use sensors is there a plugin for that for OSA?

Datahead

#4 Post by Datahead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 pm

albert2013 wrote:can you do the same things with panStamp like tun on lights and control Appliaces and use sensors is there a plugin for that for OSA?
As anything Arduino it depends on your skill in using the Arduino. As to the panStamp the reason we decided to work on a plugin for it was the fact it uses JSON to communicate from the SWAP server. In essance the panStamp is an Arduino it just uses a SNAP wireless protocol to communicate. With a range of 200 meters.

http://www.panstamp.com/

As I said we are just in the beginning stages of developing a plugin for it, and if all goes well with it you should be able to accomplish the task you described.

Ron

albert2013

#5 Post by albert2013 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Datahead wrote:
albert2013 wrote:can you do the same things with panStamp like tun on lights and control Appliaces and use sensors is there a plugin for that for OSA?
As anything Arduino it depends on your skill in using the Arduino. As to the panStamp the reason we decided to work on a plugin for it was the fact it uses JSON to communicate from the SWAP server. In essance the panStamp is an Arduino it just uses a SNAP wireless protocol to communicate. With a range of 200 meters.

http://www.panstamp.com/

As I said we are just in the beginning stages of developing a plugin for it, and if all goes well with it you should be able to accomplish the task you described.

Ron
Just wondering when will the beta plugin will be relased to us to use

Datahead

#6 Post by Datahead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 am

I just ordered the development kit for panStamp so It will be at least two weeks before I receive the hardware. From there it's a matter of setting up different sketches on the panStamp's for testing and then writing the plugin. So it may be a bit before a plugin is finalized.

Ron

Mat

#7 Post by Mat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:41 am

Something you could consider as part of your implementation is using xap or xpl, as both are supported by Arduino. Once there is plugin for xap or xpl it would open up a large number of other options as to what OSA can interact with. I know you have only recently started with C# so it may be something Automate or one of the other developers could assist with. Vaughn is pretty good with that stuff so you could give hime a poke and see if he has any free time.

Datahead

#8 Post by Datahead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks Mat,
I'll take a look at that for sure... I figured you and Brian were real busy with the OSA 4.3 release. I am at a point where I am waiting on part but it will give me time to research things.

Ron

PS: I was able to manually load the plugins in the alpha version of OSA 4.3 and thus far things have remained quite stable.

Datahead

#9 Post by Datahead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:12 am

@albert2013
Some words of wisdom and caution... Before you throw out your X-10 stuff and start building lighting controls with the Arduino boards I would consider this. Arduino's are great for low voltage applications, but when you get into higher voltages such as house current, you may want to consider a relay board or devices that are UL listed. In the rare case that the device you built started a fire in your home and your house burnt down your insurance company could possibly not pay out the claim because of this fact.

Ron

albert2013

#10 Post by albert2013 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Datahead wrote:@albert2013
Some words of wisdom and caution... Before you throw out your X-10 stuff and start building lighting controls with the Arduino boards I would consider this. Arduino's are great for low voltage applications, but when you get into higher voltages such as house current, you may want to consider a relay board or devices that are UL listed. In the rare case that the device you built started a fire in your home and your house burnt down your insurance company could possibly not pay out the claim because of this fact.

Ron
thanks for that also will the plug in your making will that work with Arduino boards as I have Arduino Eleven from freetronics

and are hoping that it will work with that

if your able to make it work with both as I have very little knoloage at making plugins as Im not a progammer and finding somone that is willing to make a plugin is inpossable for me I'm verry happy to donate to you for your help with this issue..

Thanks

Manu