Quick Question about IP camera's???

General discussion about Open Source Automation
Datahead

Quick Question about IP camera's???

#1 Post by Datahead » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 am

I am sure the IP camera addition in OSA is just in the developmental stages... It is a cool feature for sure to add to OSA. The question I have is I am using a series of inexpensive Web-cams around the house. (Loftek CSX 2200) Unfortunately they require a user name and password to acquire the stream and don't seem to be able to work with OSA because of that. Not to mention I am not sure what format the stream is also.

The reason I like these cameras is one the cost ($55.00 or less on Ebay) and the pan/tilt and invert function. For now I am using IP camera viewer in my android phone and tablet to access these feeds which works well and can be accessed from Open Remote also, but it would be nice to be able to have these feeds also in the OSA GUI. I would be happy to open one of these feeds temporally for testing if someone would be interested in testing this type of camera. Of course you may end up seeing my fat ass walking around... LOL (Scary Thought)

Ron

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Quick Question about IP camera's???

#2 Post by bwoodworth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I would be willing to take a look at this kind of IP camera if you want to give me access. Just PM me the details and I will see if I can figure out a way to use security with IP cams. Out of curiosity is it possible to remove security for these cameras and have a open stream address?
Brian

Datahead

#3 Post by Datahead » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:30 pm

As to removing the feed, user and password I don't believe so. I sent a PM with the camera feed and the product site for the camera as well. It would be cool if we could get this to work because it fits into OSA's objectives to use inexpensive off the shelf hardware that is non-proprietary in nature. Not to mention these are not bad cameras for the price.

Ron

PS: Pardon my messy garage... LOL

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#4 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 am

You mentioned you are using IP Camera app for android to access your cameras. Do you need to enter a stream address in that? If so what do you use?
Brian

Datahead

#5 Post by Datahead » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am

Brian,
The App that I am using on my android is "IP CAM viewer light". It had the loftex camera as one of its cameras it is compatable with. It also has a page where you can enter the user name and password when you configure the camera. As to the configuration I entered the camera type, web address, port, user name and password.

Ron

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#6 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am

Good news! The camera viewer control already supports your cameras. You just need to put in the correct address. I found the right address for your camera here: http://www.ispyconnect.com/man.aspx?n=Loftek They seem to have pretty much every camera ever made and all of the addresses for each type of feed. For the camera viewer in OSA you want the MJPEG feed. I took the one they have listed and then added the user/pass parameters that are shown for the other stream types and it worked.

You should put in http://IPADDRESS/videostream.cgi?user=[ ... =[PASSWORD] as the stream address.
Brian

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#7 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

Where have you been able to buy these? They seem pretty nice if you can get them for sub $55. I have been wanting to get an IP camera, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on spending the money, but this might be an ok price point.
Brian

Datahead

#8 Post by Datahead » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

I picked that one off of Ebay... I just looked and they didn't seem to have anymore there. However the price is a little higher but they have them at NewEgg. There are also pleanty of Made in China knockoffs for about $39 buck on Ebay just type in IP camera into the search.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 17W0K68138

bwoodworth
Site Admin

#9 Post by bwoodworth » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks. Were you able to get the camera viewer control to work? FYI, you should get the update dll I posted here to fix a problem with switching screens with camera viewer controls.
Brian

Datahead

#10 Post by Datahead » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:44 pm

When you say control do you mean the pan and tilt?

I did get the feed up in the GUI. Also I have another camera that is one of those Ebay China Knockoff's and tried that same feed address only with a different port and it came up as well. So you should be able to pick these cameras up for around $39 bucks.