Any news on when 0.4.4 will be released?

General discussion about Open Source Automation
Maximo

Any news on when 0.4.4 will be released?

#1 Post by Maximo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:17 pm

As per the subject.

bwoodworth
Site Admin

Re: Any news on when 0.4.4 will be released?

#2 Post by bwoodworth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

It is going to be soon. Vaughn and I have begun focusing on it the last couple weeks to get the installer up to date and we are in the process of doing some final testing. I'm thinking it is going to be just a couple more weeks.

I know it has been a long time coming and we really appreciate everyone's patience. Now that we have a better grasp of the installer it should be easier to have more regular releases as well.
Brian

Maximo

#3 Post by Maximo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks Brian, Top work as always.

I'm looking forward to some of the new features, so an early Christmas present for me. :D

Vaughn
Site Admin

#4 Post by Vaughn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:59 am

I am going to post 044 on the forums today, Full Server build only. I still have work to do on the upgrade scripts and testing, so I won't be able to officially release for a week or two, but I am going to post this build early for people that have an extra machine or who are not setup yet and don't mind doing a clean load. We won't be able to published the 044 additional plugins until the release is official though.

I have done a fair amount of testing against the 044 full install, but it does not even dent all the testing that should be done. My full testing routines do not include scheduling, android, VR, extra plugins, etc. I have just been focused on first time install at this point.

Vaughn

Vaughn
Site Admin

#5 Post by Vaughn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, I took my old job back, and start on Monday and reaaaaally wanted the release out before then. The only real road block to get this update out is that the installer is not doing upgrades, and my work on it today got me about nowhere on it. I can confirm it is not trying to copy the files over during an upgrade, but not sure why. And now with work back in the picture, I am really worried about time and getting this issue fixed.

I guess by releasing the full installer, we released the update at the same time, it just might need a little more work adding data/object types, etc, but it is in the same installer. So if anyone wants to try the update, they can install 043, then 044 and check the logs, etc and see if they see something I don't. The install says it was successful, but no new files get copied over, and I am not sure if the SQL is getting ran either.

I will spend tomorrow looking at it until I burn out on it, so something may click, but there is a lot to get right even once it is working. I still will have many hours comparing the data in the upgraded DB and making sure the upgrade is adding all the new object type, scripts, patterns, etc., so that could take me several days alone.

I just pray to Santa to give me peace this holiday and get this release out! =)

JUST DONT TEST AGAINST YOUR MAIN 043 INSTALL! =) I think a couple of you have separate boxes. My only test box is a 64-bit Win8 box for reference. I have no virtual machines setup, can't handle another variable in troubleshooting right now.

Vaughn

volfan6415

#6 Post by volfan6415 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am

Any updates on this?

Vaughn
Site Admin

#7 Post by Vaughn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:49 pm

I would say the coding and the new installer for 044 are done. The only thing that is broke is upgrading 043 users, and the guy who changed all of our installers over to a new system kinda up and left us hanging with a broken installer. I love to code, but having to work on that installer is enough to make me look for other things to do. I would hire someone to fix it, but I can't because of LLC complications. I feel trapped and broken and am contemplating things I don't want to, like going back to developing privately where upgrades for others are not an issue, restructuring to were I can get more help, to the extreme of just moving on to something else...

I hope we can come up with a reasonable solution... I am done working on this installer though, especially by myself...

Vaughn

volfan6415

#8 Post by volfan6415 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Vaughn,

I hate to hear that... hopefully this is an issue that can be worked through.

volfan6415

#9 Post by volfan6415 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Perhaps given the major changes in .4.4 maybe it should be advertised that you have to do a clean install and you can't upgrade from .4.3. While that will be a pain for us .4.3 users its not the end of the world. Especially if we are aware of it before the install and can create some sort of a "paper backup" that would let us recreate all the necessary objects, scripts etc. that would need to be re-imported.

I hate to have the project stall/end because of a backwards compatibility issue that may never be able to be worked out. I mean once everyone makes the transition to .4.4 the fact that the installer can't perform the update from .4.3 is completely moot.

Those are just my thoughts. :-)

Vaughn
Site Admin

#10 Post by Vaughn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:00 pm

We can manually upgrade people from 043 to 044. You just install 044 clean, then load your 043 DB and run the SQL upgrade script, the upgrade script is fine. But when 045 comes out and it won't upgrade either, same spot... The problem eventually has to be solved. I want to be able to put out an update every day if I need to... Years ago, I wrote updates for all my enterprise products that were like videos game updaters... it pulled down the files you needed and updated you from the client itself. People say OSA needs to be simpler, and I think a big part would be the installing and updating, it should be simple like a phone app.

If it was up to me, I would drop 32-bit support and go to a simple .NET installation where you just copy a folder to the computer, run a bat file to register the service and everything works instead of a heavy, fat installer that tracks every single file in the registry... Then updates can be as simple as a couple files and an SQL script in a zip file, slapped together in 5 minutes... I was also fine with our NSIS installer technology and I wrote rapid deployments with it at my day job for two years. I can always go back to it, but I am too burned out to start a new installer and all the testing involved, right now at least.

My day job is brutal now, and I can handle some relaxing coding, but as far as stress goes, I am tapped out right now. This is open source though, and maybe someone who loves installers will come along. I am working on a way to be able to pay for some of the work OSA needs.

Vaughn