New to OSA - Which Alarm Panels are Supported

General discussion about Open Source Automation
Falcon

New to OSA - Which Alarm Panels are Supported

#1 Post by Falcon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Greetings,
New to OSA, Old to HA.

Looking to start a new system to slowly replace a robust but old X-10 and digital I/O system that I have been using for many years. I want to get away from X-10 completely but I think for now I will blend Z-Wave and X-10 until I can replace all of the different module types with the improved Z-Wave modules. The PR511 might be a tough one. X-10 is the friend I love to hate. I have a very large storage bin of X-10 parts cars. Hit the old WS467 a bit too hard and yup you now have a broken switch.

On the digital I/O side of things I have some options open to me. I'd like to have the alarm system monitored but I also want live closure data on the OSA host. I have been offered a deal on a DSC 1616 panel but I am afraid it won't cover all of what I want to do. Are there any panels that OSA supports that would provide me live closure data and also be monitoring friendly.

The plan will be to have the alarm system look as normal as possible. The automation end of it should not be visible. I am tempted to roll-my-own DIY alarm system but the keypads remain a problem, and most monitoring companies would hesitate to take on a DIY system because it is largely unknown.

Anyone here using an ELK M1 ?

Andre

Re: New to OSA - Which Alarm Panels are Supported

#2 Post by Andre » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 pm

Welcome to OSA!

I am not using the DSC Alarm plugin yet, but the DSC 1616 panel you mentioned is listed as a panel that works with this plugin.
It will require an extra add-in board for the DSC system. (Either LAN or Serial)

See the thread for this plugin for more information

http://www.opensourceautomation.com/php ... -t927.html

Automate

#3 Post by Automate » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 am

Yes, the DSC is the only alarm currently supported by OSA. More info in the Wiki here http://www.opensourceautomation.com/wik ... =DSC_Alarm

We would like to support ELK M1 but as far as I know none of the OSA developers have one.

Falcon

#4 Post by Falcon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks for the help and the links. It turns out the deal I was going to get on the DSC PC1616 was not that great so I will be hunting down a new supplier for a panel like the PC1832 as well as an Envisalink interface.

Can a DSC's zone be used for status detection but ignored when armed? Let me explain. This may be old information but when I wired my current system I set the hardwired detectors to "single detection per event" rather than "multiple detection required per event". This allowed faster response times for occupancy lighting with X-10. I am not sure how much the detectors have changed over time but mine have jumpers to select that feature. Motion detectors that are set to "single" are good for occupancy but not necessarily good for motion sensing for an alarm event since a pet can trip them.

Automate

#5 Post by Automate » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes, If you don't assign a zone to a partition then it will not cause an alarm but the zone status is still available from the plugin.

Falcon

#6 Post by Falcon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:28 am

So if I were to buy an Elk M1 how difficult would it be to produce a plug-in? What is involved and what script or language is used?

Automate

#7 Post by Automate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:39 am

Plugins can be written in any .NET compatible language generally this means either C# or VB.NET.

The good thing is that the ELK M1 protocol is published so you don't have to try and reverse engineer the protocol.

The other side of it is that the ELK M1 is more complex than a simple alarm system, its a full automation system on its own. So it will take some time to develop a plugin that handles all these capabilities.

It always helps to start with a library or code someone has already developed rather than starting from scratch. Someone started one here http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/1166 ... ntry215282 but don't know if it is available.

Falcon

#8 Post by Falcon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Okay so assuming the Elk panel is not going to happen in any reasonable time frame since I am not a .net programmer, I am stuck with DSC.

I am wondering if the DSC and the EVL-3CG will be fast enough to use for motion activated lighting with OSA. Is it preferred to use Z-wave occupancy sensors or live alarm zone data from the DSC ? How would you prefer to do it ?

Automate

#9 Post by Automate » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:36 pm

I would thing you could go either way. The DSC/EVL/OSA Plugin are all set up for event based. This means the OSA plugin does not need to poll the DSC for a status change but rather as soon as a status change happens it sends a message which gets processed by the OSA plugin.

Falcon

#10 Post by Falcon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 pm

This sounds good. I was just trying to see if I should invest more into the alarm system components or into an alternative like z-wave detectors.