Best way to use screens on a tablet?

General discussion about Open Source Automation
tommysharp

Best way to use screens on a tablet?

#1 Post by tommysharp » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey guys, any advice on the best way to use screens on a tablet that will be mounted on the wall?

I have a very old iPad to try with. Is the only real way to open it in the browser and then make it full screen? Would like to make it as family friendly as possible....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: Best way to use screens on a tablet?

#2 Post by Vaughn » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:36 am

I won't be able to help on any iPOD/Android advice, I am just chiming in to acknowledge that the Screens Windows app still has a couple to-do items concerning Windows tablets, and that I have a Windows 8.1 tablet that I will be working on to ensure best support for Touch & Full Screen, as soon as I can get to it. I have made some good progress on the Screen App so far, but the to-do list is still pretty daunting. Images scaling, App resizing, borderless full screen, security levels, touch support, bubbling mouse events for a couple controls, etc... Then as these things are being done, much of it has to be applied to the WebUI Screens, which is a little hard for me.

We are on it and a bunch of it will make the next release, the rest soon after. The GUI has always been one of my favorite parts to work on, so it will be definitely getting a little love each release.

Vaughn

Automate

#3 Post by Automate » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 am

I don't know that any of the developers have iPhones/iPad/iPods so we may not be much help with them.

I can think of three methods with your iPad
  • Use a Remote Desktop App connected to a Windows computer running the OSA Screens app
    Point the iPad browser to a WebUI Screens page
    Point the iPad browser to the OSA Mobile Web page

tommysharp

#4 Post by tommysharp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am

I'm not bothered which device really just a tablet on the wall. I've got a cheap android tablet and could possibly get an RT tablet but then I guess the screens app is a desktop app and not a "metro" app so wouldn't be possible on a RT tablet.

Would be fair to say that I should be going down the path of openremote or irule or something like that and let OSA be the smarts behind the scene?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Vaughn
Site Admin

#5 Post by Vaughn » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Possibly. I feel like in a year or two, cheap tablets will have enough power to run full Windows 8. My Asus 10" VivoTab Smart run full Windows 8.1. It was $399 a year ago, so I think the trend will continue. Our screens app is C#, WFP, so it is about as current as it gets and I think we should be able to make a Metro version of it done.

I would love to see a full blown Android or iOS app, but I just could never get to that myself. I am sure are web and mobile site will continue to improve too.

Vaughn

Automate

#6 Post by Automate » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:25 am

@tommysharp, The OSA Screens app is currently the most advanced OSA UI for the user. If you go with Android you have all the same options I have listed above for the iPad plus you add the Android app. The Android app is basically the OSA Mobile WebUI with some extra features. The App adds the ability to use voice commands, receive notifications, trigger events and run tasks.

Depending upon what you want to do on the tablet UI you might still be better off with a Remote Desktop app on Android connecting to the Screens app.

I think you would want to list out what features you need from your UI before you decided which application to use. Open Remote is an option but you won't get as tight integration with OSA with a 3rd party app.