Nest announces smart home API

General discussion about Open Source Automation
fiveHellions

Nest announces smart home API

#1 Post by fiveHellions » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:29 am

http://www.connectedly.com/google-annou ... dium=gplus

Neat. About to go look at the dev site. This may make me spend way too much on a thermostat. I've always thought nest was cool but the price and lack of openness kept me away.

Vaughn
Site Admin

Re: Nest announces smart home API

#2 Post by Vaughn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:24 am

iOS and Android. What about real computers and automation systems?

Vaughn

fiveHellions

#3 Post by fiveHellions » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:34 am

Seems they use firebase. And currently there isn't a firebase client for c# or VB.net.

You can interact via REST though. I found this c# library https://github.com/ziyasal/FireSharp.

Automate

#4 Post by Automate » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:09 am

So with this API would an OSA plugin communicate directly with the thermostat or does it go through a cloud service? I don't want my control of the thermostat to stop if my internet connection goes down.

fiveHellions

#5 Post by fiveHellions » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:41 am

It goes through a cloud service.

Automate

#6 Post by Automate » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:13 pm

@fiveHellions, have you done anything more with this?

My Aprilaire thermostat died so now I have a Nest.

fiveHellions

#7 Post by fiveHellions » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:49 am

Nope.

I played around with the firebase client for android and had it communicating with the dev environment Nest. Thought about making a tasker plugin. But I never bought a Nest so I didn't pursue it.

The big downside to creating an OSA plugin is that there isn't an official .net client for firebase. I found this project on github https://github.com/ziyasal/FireSharp .
It looks promising but I haven't played around with it and I'm not sure if it will provide real time updates or if you will have to poll for data.

How do you like the Nest? I'm still tempted to get one. But since I will need one for downstairs and one for upstairs it makes it pretty expensive. But I need to do something before summer. My electric bills with the AC running were through the roof. At the very least I need to get a simple programmable, but I would much rather get a connected thermostat. Either the NEST or some other wifi/zwave thermostat.

fiveHellions

#8 Post by fiveHellions » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:10 pm

fiveHellions

#9 Post by fiveHellions » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 am

Automate

I got a bit of free time and played around with making a plugin. Got alot of it working and it does stream the changes without having to poll. But unfortunately the connection closes sometimes and then the updates no longer come. The author of the C# firebase client has that listed as an issue to detect when connection is closed and re-establish one. But that was 10 months ago and it looks like he hasn't touched it since then.

I'm going to work on a not so elegant fix to pull the information occasionally and if it doesn't match then restart the streaming. This still may result in some periods where the info is not real time. But thats the best I can do without digging into the client code and figuring out how to fix the issue. I may do that at some point, but I just don't have the time right now. I wish firebase had an official client for .NET like they do for android and ios.

Give me a few days to a week and I will try to have a beta version of the plugin for you to test with real devices.

Automate

#10 Post by Automate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:49 pm

@fiveHellions, thanks for working on this. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out.

As far as the Nest, the build quality is excellent, the installation was very easy and its been very reliable.

I don't own any Apple products mainly due to the way I feel they try and lock you into their ecosystem. My concern with Nest is the same. The founders of Nest are ex-Apple employees. Hopefully since Google purchased Nest they can influence them to open things up. But Google has their issues also such as always wanting things to be cloud based. For some things like Home Automation I would rather it be done like OSA with local control rather than be dependent upon the cloud.

The Nest thermostat does have a USB port which allows some hacking. Nest sounds like they are going to leave this open for developers to use as they see fit. My hope is that someone develops some software to run on the thermostat and opens up some kind of web service API so that other automation can interact with the Nest without going over the internet.