non-localhost mysql db

General discussion about Open Source Automation
rayoder

non-localhost mysql db

#1 Post by rayoder » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:55 pm

This probably sounds like an odd question, but I was wondering if it was possible to install OSA on one computer and have it use a MySQL database on a different computer (server). I'm just thinking back to the installation and I remember localhost being the default, but was wondering if I specified a computer on my network if it could communicate that way. It wouldn't be worth sacrificing any functionality, I was just curious if it was possible.

Automate

Re: non-localhost mysql db

#2 Post by Automate » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:12 pm

There is an OSA registry setting that holds the "localhost" for the DB connection. I'm guessing it could be changed to something else but have never tried it.

Mat

Re: non-localhost mysql db

#3 Post by Mat » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:41 pm

If I remember correctly I added a feature in the installer to deal with this. When it asks for the server details for MySQL just specify the address. You will need to adjust the security on your mysql as I don't think it will allow remote connections by default. If you already have it installed and just want to move the DB then Automate is correct in that you can just update the "DBCONNECTION" key in the registry to the new address for it to connect to the remote DB.